Smoking Boston Butt First Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wonder McKenzie

Original poster
Jul 5, 2018
Hello! I am using a Masterbuilt electric smoker and so far have only done last years Thanksgiving turkey in it...which tasted amazing, if I do say so myself :)
Recently, I bought a 16.45 pound boston butt (bone in) and am assuming that putting the meat in as one giant slab of meat is a bad idea. I have read several posts, but want to be sure before I begin so I'm prepared.

1. Should I cut it in half to make (2) 8 pounders?
2. Will it still take about 1.5 hours per pound with both of them in at the same time? (at 250)

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Are you sure it's a 16+ pounder and not twin pack? 16 sounds awfully big to me.

Chris

It's definitely one piece of meat...it's absolutely huge. I got it a restaurant supply store...so everything there is sold in larger quantities.

Well... I do need to open it to find out then, to make sure :) It seems like 1. Assuming it is already in 2 pieces... can I smoke them both at the same time?

I would surely like to see the pig that bad boy came from. Hogzilla. I would recommend adding a few hours of cushion to your time. At 250 there is a good chance of the dreaded stall.

Well... I do need to open it to find out then, to make sure :) It seems like 1. Assuming it is already in 2 pieces... can I smoke them both at the same time?

Yes,you can do them both at the same time. This past spring I did two at the same time at 225 - 235 degrees and they turned out really well. I'm pretty sure it took 20 -21 hrs until they were probe tender. I normally take notes but I didn't for this smoke.

Yes,you can do them both at the same time. This past spring I did two at the same time at 225 - 235 degrees and they turned out really well. I'm pretty sure it took 20 -21 hrs until they were probe tender. I normally take notes but I didn't for this smoke.
That's one long smoke. Have you ever tried a higher temp? The first few shoulders i smoked at 225 and it took like 17 hours to do 2 ten pounders. The last ones i did at 260 and reached 203 IT at 11 hours for 2 eleven pounders. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in flavor or texture.

Reactions: Rusty Long
Thank you for all of the feedback! And checked...it was a 2 in one package, so sadly no hogzilla :)

Just chiming in late as always..

I run a MES 140s, and I've put on 9-11 pound pork butts, a small roast, a chicken..ribs..well lets just say, I've had over 20 pounds of meat and the like in there easily running at 240f. My only advice is start it 24 hours in advance of when you think you want it done and be prepard for it to not go as planned. My first pork butt was the only one that hit the nail on the head time wise. Every thing else has been not as planned.

Can't wait to see pics of this!

In general, one butt or several, the smoke time is based on the largest one and they are usually done around the same time. The biggest difference is, your smoker will need extra time to recover from all that cold meat...JJ

That's one long smoke. Have you ever tried a higher temp? The first few shoulders i smoked at 225 and it took like 17 hours to do 2 ten pounders. The last ones i did at 260 and reached 203 IT at 11 hours for 2 eleven pounders. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in flavor or texture.

Yep i agree with this. i do mine at 275 and i still awesome results. you will shave of a fair amount of hours and its just as divine.

In general, one butt or several, the smoke time is based on the largest one and they are usually done around the same time. The biggest difference is, your smoker will need extra time to recover from all that cold meat...JJ

I have seen that a couple of times, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why. A couple months back, I started 2 butts at the same time, one small and one considerably bigger. Maybe 8# and 12#? Anyhow, I was expecting the 8# butt to be done around 12 hours and the bigger one to take closer to 16 hours. The smaller one seemed to keep pace with the bigger one, and they were done within about an hour of each other. Why is that?

It seems like Murphy always bites me in the backside whenever I'm smoking for lots of people. Like others have said above, start a lot earlier than you think is needed. Butts do well reheated!

Actually, I did a small butt last weekend at 265 thanks to SmokinAl and some others on here, and I couldn't tell the difference from doing it low and slow, so from now on, that is the way I am going to do it.

Actually, I did a small butt last weekend at 265 thanks to SmokinAl and some others on here, and I couldn't tell the difference from doing it low and slow, so from now on, that is the way I am going to do it.
Thats how I felt after the first time I did Als Hot and Fast, never looked back.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I can't seem to find "Al's Hot and Fast" thread using the search function. I'm waffling between 250F and 300F for an 8lb butt. My PB700 doesn't have any temp options between the two. Thanks. I don't mind getting up early tomorrow, but I want to make sure the butt is done for dinner around 5:30-6:00pm. Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky