Smoker wont shut down.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokinpat

Original poster
Feb 7, 2021
Hey all. New here. I have a MES 20070311 40 inch smoker that won't shut down. Has the rear top controller. Works great otherwise and I really like it. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Message_1612709311845.jpg
    Message_1612709311845.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: JC in GB
What I mean is that it will stay correct temp but after reached preset time it does shut down...just continues cooking

I am not sure I understand. It's an electric with a timer? And when it reaches that shutdown-timer it does not shutdown? If that's the case, that means it's defective.

What I mean is that it will stay correct temp but after reached preset time it does shut down...just continues cooking
Excuse me...does not shut down
Most MES smokers have a little swing upward that is normal.
My first one had almost a 50* F swing watch it and move it away from the house til you know what it is over shooting JMHO
Richie

Most MES smokers have a little swing upward that is normal.
My first one had almost a 50* F swing watch it and move it away from the house til you know what it is over shooting JMHO
Richie
This is electric..temperature holds fine etc..if I set it for example 5 hours @ 250 degrees, it will do it's countdown cycling on and off to keep temperature up. When it reaches 5 hours it just keeps cooking until you manually hit the on/off button.

So the timer is supposed to stop the cook? But then it doesn't? That does not sound normal. I would consult the manual and then the company about it. A timer that does nothing on a electric smoker does not make any sense.

Reactions: JC in GB
LOL---I can't help you with that one:
I've had 3 MES units that worked Great Always, over the last 10 years, but I never set any of them to shut off on their own.
I always set mine for 20 hours, so I don't have to worry about them shutting off on their own. I want to personally shut them off when I decide it is time.
I always set at 20 hours, so it's easy to tell how long it's been going at any given time.

Bear

Reactions: 912smoker
This is electric..temperature holds fine etc..if I set it for example 5 hours @ 250 degrees, it will do it's countdown cycling on and off to keep temperature up. When it reaches 5 hours it just keeps cooking until you manually hit the on/off button.
Why didn't I think of that ? A timer who would have though of using it on a MES 😕
Richie

Forgot to mention:
We Smoke-Cook to Interior Temperature & Tenderness.
We don't cook to time, so I never use the Time setting feature, except for like I said, setting it for 20 hours, to avoid it shutting down on it's own.

Bear

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky