Smoked wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You weren't kidding. Your smoker looked like it was hardly full. Good thing was that there was no crowding going on your smoker for all of it. LOL
Good looking food. Love wings and them ones you made looked awesome. You should be able to hit the like button more then once for certain things in here.

They were really good. Only thing I’m going to change is add more hot sauce. Had great flavor, but I wanted a little more heat.

I just got my Camp Chef SmokePro DLX and tried the Monster Wings in Jeff's Book as first cook.
I used 225 degree and it took close to 3 hrs to get 165 degree on the meat probe. I used lumberjack's hickory. The insides had a decent taste. I would have liked more smoke flavor. The outsides was tough and skins were too rubbery to eat. Also I had no crust at all. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I see you ran at 270.

Any suggestion on what adjustments ?

225 will give you the rubbery skin you need a higher temp to get crispy skin either in the smoker of on a grill after you get the smoke flavor you want.

Warren

Thanks Warren, I'll try again with more heat. Does 270 sound right ? Or more yet ?

I really don't want to add a grill. I'd be more incline to go back to my stick burner. I do want to try and live with this pellet pooper.

I just got my Camp Chef SmokePro DLX and tried the Monster Wings in Jeff's Book as first cook.
I used 225 degree and it took close to 3 hrs to get 165 degree on the meat probe. I used lumberjack's hickory. The insides had a decent taste. I would have liked more smoke flavor. The outsides was tough and skins were too rubbery to eat. Also I had no crust at all. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I see you ran at 270.

Any suggestion on what adjustments ?

225 will give you the rubbery skin you need a higher temp to get crispy skin either in the smoker of on a grill after you get the smoke flavor you want.

Warren

HalfSmoked is correct, you need a higher temperature for a crisper skin. I have a Camp Chef Woodwind and achieve great results this way:

1. Low Smoke Setting (160˚-170˚) for 30 minutes
2. High Smoke Setting (220˚- 230˚) for an additional 30 minutes
3. Flip the wings and then crank the temperature up to 300˚- 350˚
4. Continue at this temperature until the Internal Temp reaches 175˚
5. If the skin is still not to your liking throw them under your oven broiler for a few minutes until you have reached the crispness you desire.

Also, Jeff is a big fan of the Camp Chef Woodwind and is always posting wing recipes in his weekly newsletter. Check those out as well and perhaps you will find additional suggestions.

I hope this helps,

John

Last edited:
HalfSmoked is correct, you need a higher temperature for a crisper skin. I have a Camp Chef Woodwind and achieve great results this way:

1. Low Smoke Setting (160˚-170˚) for 30 minutes
2. High Smoke Setting (220˚- 230˚) for an additional 30 minutes
3. Flip the wings and then crank the temperature up to 300˚- 350˚
4. Continue at this temperature until the Internal Temp reaches 175˚
5. If the skin is still not to your liking throw them under your oven broiler for a few minutes until you have reached the crispness you desire.

Also, Jeff is a big fan of the Camp Chef Woodwind and is always posting wing recipes in his weekly newsletter. Check those out as well and perhaps you will find additional suggestions.

I hope this helps,

John

I just finished cooking up a second try. I followed your recommendation. The Monster Wing turned out GREAT !

Thank you for your help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky