• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked turkey legs

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big-guy

Fire Starter
Sep 12, 2010
Legs in brine in the fridge for 10 days.

Brine was 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt, 1 Tbs granulated garlic, 1 Tbs cure #1 20 cups water.

I did some pork hocks too

Into the smoker

smoker @250 F for 4 hrs with maple smoke.

ready to eat or package

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
That Looks absolutely awesome!  A 10 day Brine?!!!!  I would never have thought to brine poultry that long.  Think I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the post!

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Hey Big-Guy--That stuff looks awesome!

Could I please have a little peek inside one of those hocks?

I'm sorry, I just can't help myself---just a little slice through that beautiful stuff!

Bear

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
I gotta give you
points.gif
for them. Awesome!

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
Great looking stuff. I love smoking chicken legs they are one of my favorites. Smoked chicken legs was one of the first things I learned how to smoke. 

scarbelly

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2009
Man this looks incredible - I hate to do the me too thing but I would love a peek inside too

Can you elaborate on the 10 day process. Very interesting to say the least

Thanks

big-guy

Fire Starter
Sep 12, 2010
Sorry no internal pictures as I packaged it all up and its in the freezer.

My brine method , as a rule of thumb I brine for 2 days then add 2 days for every inch of thickness. You can't brine too long, but you can brine for too short  of a time. The cure needs to soak right into the center of each piece of meat and it will come to equilibrium. You can speed this up by injecting brine I do this with loins and soak for 7 days. It works for me.

reichl

Meat Mopper
Mar 26, 2009
Hmmm... in my experience If I brine longer then overnight, the meat starts to get mushy.  But hey, it looks great and as long as it tastes great bravo!

mballi3011

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2009
icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man Those drumsticks and knuckles look awesome and the way you have them layed out there I'll take the scond one on the right..........No not that one the one on the right ........your other right ya ya that one. All I could wish is to have a couple of those for the next time I eat and lunch is coming up soon.

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Mar 16, 2010
I agree with all the above, those are incredible. Another thing added to my "to do" list.

Thanks for sharing.

bluechip

Smoke Blower
Jun 5, 2010
My cast iron pot, some white beans, one of those hocks and a pan of cornbread.......sssoooooonnnnn...... Those are beautiful, great job.

You can see it in the expression on my face..
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:

deannc

Master of the Pit
Jun 13, 2010
That right there is an incredible sight!  No wonder it was picked to be featured on the home page, congrats and thanks for the great Qview!  Looks finger licking good!  
points.gif

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
My cast iron pot, some white beans, one of those hocks and a pan of cornbread.......sssoooooonnnnn...... Those are beautiful, great job.

You can see it in the expression on my face..
icon_mrgreen.gif

That's what I was thinking!!!!!

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Sep 26, 2010
That looks awesome,whats the reason for the long brine?I have always just injected and smoked my turkeys,

papagreer

Meat Mopper
Jul 7, 2010
Those look great! My lady loves smoked turkey legs...imma have to make her some now. Man I'm hungry!

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
That is a beautiful thing my friend. The color is gorgeous! I can't wait until they make "scratch and sniff" computer monitors. Oh wait, I'm hanging out with a bunch of smelly mens, I might wanna rethink that request.
tongue.gif

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Jul 28, 2010
Great work, BigGuy!! Love that nice roasty color, and I'll bet they taste real fine.

Makes this sad little turkey sammy I have for lunch look pretty pathetic...
biggrin.gif

-Princess

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky