Smoked syrup?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
Just out of curiosity, I ran a 24 ounce bottle of Log Cabin syrup in the smoker (cold with AMNPS) for 16 hours. I kept disturbing the surface and tasting it as it went along. Even after 16 hours, I can't taste the smoke.

I noticed something odd... When I poured it out of the pan back into the bottle, it had thickened and I lost about 6 ounces. Would syrup evaporate that fast?

The ambient was in the upper 60s and the smoker is in a metal building in the shade. I'm off the chart anal about temp tracking & control, so I know the cabinet temp never hit 70.

Just out of curiosity, I ran a 24 ounce bottle of Log Cabin syrup in the smoker (cold with AMNPS) for 16 hours. I kept disturbing the surface and tasting it as it went along. Even after 16 hours, I can't taste the smoke.

I noticed something odd... When I poured it out of the pan back into the bottle, it had thickened and I lost about 6 ounces. Would syrup evaporate that fast?

The ambient was in the upper 60s and the smoker is in a metal building in the shade. I'm off the chart anal about temp tracking & control, so I know the cabinet temp never hit 70.
Hillbilly Jim, you obviously need to go out and hunt something to smoke! 
36.gif

39.gif
! LOL 

As far as your syrup escapade, they have a thing called, liquid smoke!   Sorry Buddy you already missed out on that one! 
laugh1.gif

Hey Hillbilly
Yes syrup will evaporate some over time with heat, look at the plate from breakfast when you have pancakes and don't get the dishes done right away.
It takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup I know that is not,what you asked just info.
Not sure why it did not pickup smoke.
Your shrink may have been partly self induced with samples

Keep trying and good luck

PABEEF

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky