Smoked Steak Stuffed Poblanos (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Our good friend clifish clifish posted a couple of Mexican themed meals recently and one of them had poblano peppers as a primary ingredient. I planned to make the same thing Cliff posted and had Tracy grab some from the store last weekend. When I saw those gorgeous peppers, I had to change direction and do something different. It just seemed a travesty to chop them all to pieces so came up with a different game plan.

The peppers with the tops cut off and cleaned out
001.jpg

Cut up some jalapenos and onions. Into a skillet with some EVOO, fresh minced garlic, and a sprinkle of my Mexican spice blend
002.jpg

The steak. A little NY Strip
003.jpg

Steak cut up and into a pan with a bit more of my Mexican spice mix and sprinkle of Sazon Goya
004.jpg

Got some homemade rice going. Used brown rice, beef broth, some cut up poblano pepper from the caps I cut out, and spices
005.jpg

Meat, onions, jalapenos in a bowl with a couple ounces of cream cheese
006.jpg

Mix it all up to make....well....a mess
007.jpg

Stuff the meat and veggie mixture into the peppers. Don't be shy. Go ahead and stuff as much as humanly possible into the peppers
008.jpg

And some cheddar cheese, of course
009.jpg

Onto the smoker at 285
010.jpg

A little pecan wood TBS rolling
011.jpg

About 25 minutes they are hot throughout and the peppers are getting where we like them: starting to soften but still some texture to them
012.jpg

Plated with the rice, some guac, and warm torts
013.jpg

Inside: lots of ooey, gooey, melted cheesiness
014.jpg

Quick, simple, and painless. This was a very easy meal but it was really good. Loved the uniqueness of it and it's always fun to have something new and different on the menu.These came out really well and we were both impressed at how good they were for such a minimal amount of time and effort. I'm believing these will become part of the regular rotation, and for good reason.

Thanks so much for dropping in and apologies for this being an inside meal....well except for smoking the peppers. Another blazing hot day and after being outside in it for many hours, I was ready for a break. Y'all take care and enjoy the upcoming weekend. I might be taking Tracy on a trip to visit some of her favorite wineries tomorrow. Been a while and she needs a treat.

Robert

Robert, you gave those peppers a tasty Tex-Mex twist. I agree, they were way too pretty to chop up.

Stu

Awesome my friend, I’d have been all over a plate of all that good stuff! Great thread as per usual! 👊🏼🍻

More culinary creativity Robert, you definitely have the knack! Some truly great cooks coming out of the smoker you built, Bet that makes you feel good all over! RAY

Another great twist on a meal as always done to perfection. I am happy to have added an idea to you finally!

Looks delicious! Did something similar not long ago...so very tasty!

Ryan

Those really good Robert. That reminds me I have a couple Poblanos fridge need to do something with. I not a fan of cooked bell peppers and use Poblanos in place of them.

Yum!!! Very creative Robert. I can almost smell the aroma and now I'm hungry!
Thanks Matt. Interestingly enough, there was a tantalizing aroma as the peppers started to cook, the meat and spices coming to fruition, and the addition of the pecan smoke. Only had 2 of the neighbors text asking what was for dinner though.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky