Smoked heat & serve sausage patties.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll be the odd man out here.... I'm taking the other side of this question (or answer 😎).

Smoke naked fatties and slice before reheating 👍. Biscuits are great if you have the time, if not Kings Hawaiian rolls are the next best choice.

For years I made these for work and football pot lucks, smoking 6 at a time (about 9 to 10 slices from each log). For breakfast flavored logs, I use a spicy rub. For hot sausage logs, I go with a sweeter rub.
qjyqm.jpg

ZJlDAIO.jpg

kn28d.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be the odd man out here.... I'm taking the other side of this question (or answer 😎).

Smoke naked fatties and slice before reheating 👍. Biscuits are great if you have the time, if not Kings Hawaiian rolls are the next best choice.

For years I made these for work and football pot lucks, smoking 6 at a time (about 9 to 10 slices from each log). For breakfast flavored logs, I use a spicy rub. For hot sausage logs, I go with a sweeter rub.
View attachment 696635
View attachment 696636
View attachment 696637
Yes! That is exactly what I'm planning on doing.

Jim

Just be careful here guys...jimmy dean is a fresh sausage and does not have cure. The total time in the danger zone should be no longer than 4 hours. This includes cool down time to below 40*F. Also remember that when you cook the sausage, the INT should get above 140 as fast as possible...because the bacteria that have multiplied will resume growing on the reheat....until out of the danger zone....
So is there any way a roll of Jimmy Dean could be smoked whole? You keep scaring me with this temp vs time danger zone.

Thanks.

So is there any way a roll of Jimmy Dean could be smoked whole? You keep scaring me with this temp vs time danger zone.

Thanks.
Absolutely. I think this is the way most do it. Just put it on whole. Rub or no rub. Run anywhere from 225-275 and smoke to an IT of 160-165. You will be done well before the 4 hour mark.

The rule is no longer than 4 hours between 40*F-140*F for commuted meats without cure #1 like fresh sausages, loafs, fatties....or any other ground meat. But if you take it to 160-165*F, you are good....
What temperature 🌡 should a guy smoke sausage patties at? 225°-250°F to stay safe?

& if a guy was to smoke a whole roll of sausage at 225°-250°F how long do you think it would take to reach the 160°-165°f internal temperature 🌡

Thanks. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

What temperature 🌡 should a guy smoke sausage patties at? 225°-250°F to stay safe?
Yes...225-250*F...

& if a guy was to smoke a whole roll of sausage at 225°-250°F how long do you think it would take to reach the 160°-165°f internal temperature 🌡
I don't smoke by time, I smoke by Internal temp. I don't smoke a lot of fatties so can't recommend a time frame for you. That is a good question for thirdeye thirdeye since he has done so many...

Also, no such thing as too many questions when it comes to understanding the safety aspect of smoking...

Reactions: DieselTech
if a guy was to smoke a whole roll of sausage at 225°-250°F how long do you think it would take to reach the 160°-165°f internal temperature 🌡
I don't pay much attention to time either. On my smoker probably about 1.5 hours or so. On yours who knows. Too many variables. Only one way to find out..........

Reactions: DieselTech
Yes...225-250*F...

I don't smoke by time, I smoke by Internal temp. I don't smoke a lot of fatties so can't recommend a time frame for you. That is a good question for thirdeye thirdeye since he has done so many...

Also, no such thing as too many questions when it comes to understanding the safety aspect of smoking...
Yeah when I get around to do the rolls I will install my Smoke X4 probe & smoke until it hits the 160°-165°f internal temperature 🌡

I think I am going to try smoking slices first.

Will smoking the slices be harder to get accurate internal temps due to 1/2" thick slices?

Thanks.

I don't pay much attention to time either. On my smoker probably about 1.5 hours or so. On yours who knows. Too many variables. Only one way to find out..........
Thanks. Yeah I was trying to get some type of time frame as how long it might take.

But yes I be giving it a try tomorrow, unless I get rained out.

Thanks. Sorry for all the newbie questions.
225° to 250° indirect will work fine and once your internal is >140°, you can choke back the fire a little and increase your smoke time. I like to smoke them 2.5 to 3 hours or so, creeping up on 155° to 160°. I do this for smoky flavor and to render fat out, so use a drip pan. Wrap in foil and rest about an hour.

If you can locate a topper grate like this, it makes fatties easier to roll, and they won't sink into the grate.
q0m6X.jpg

225° to 250° indirect will work fine and once your internal is >140°, you can choke back the fire a little and increase your smoke time. I like to smoke them 2.5 to 3 hours or so, creeping up on 155° to 160°. I do this for smoky flavor and to render fat out, so use a drip pan. Wrap in foil and rest about an hour.

If you can locate a topper grate like this, it makes fatties easier to roll, and they won't sink into the grate.
View attachment 696664
Ok thanks. I'll see what I can find & do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky