Smoked Cheese - Batch Number One of 2018: White Cheddar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Round two of the 2018 batch.

All lined up on the grate: 4 Pepper Jack, 4 Horseradish, 4 Hot Habanero, 2 Swiss, and 2 Gouda.
DSC00858.JPG

High ho, high ho it's off to the smoker they go...
DSC00859.JPG

And the final results are in:
DSC00860.JPG

About half of this years batch is going towards stocking stuffers and T-day. The rest will be eaten throughout the year by yours truely, the better half and of course skid mark(cheddar only for him). Now onto the smoked salmon and lox.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Great color! How long and what wood?

I did apple with my first smoke and may try something new with the next batch...

5 hours dust again? Apple?

Sam, unfortunately this batch had to be done with hickory dust like the cheddar(I really wanted apple dust), but I didn't realize I was out of apple. Time to place another order in with Todd. With this batch all but 4 blocks were smoked for 2.5 to 3 hours. The other 4 saw an additional 2 to 3 hours of pellet smoke with hickory. They were for my kids. Who like a really strong smoke flavor.

Chris

Reactions: zwiller
Great color! How long and what wood?

I did apple with my first smoke and may try something new with the next batch...

Thanks CSR, see above post for times. Hickory is stronger then Apple. I like both, but prefer apple to hickory. My kids like the hickory better.

Chris

Wow!!
Looks Great Chris!!
You could move to WI, and start your own "Hat Store".

Bear

Funny, but I don't think that would work for a Giants fan - or maybe a Giant Cheese Head.

Chris

Nice looking batch of cheese, Chris. I really want to try this soon. Temps are up for next week or so, but maybe next weekend.

Question: Is there a reason you use the dust as opposed to pellets? Does the pellets burn hooter? I assume I could use the ice bottles I have read about if it is a temperature thing. Just curious.

Nice looking batch of cheese, Chris. I really want to try this soon. Temps are up for next week or so, but maybe next weekend.

Question: Is there a reason you use the dust as opposed to pellets? Does the pellets burn hooter? I assume I could use the ice bottles I have read about if it is a temperature thing. Just curious.

Thanks Jeff, dust burns cleaner and lighter then pellets. It also burns cooler(basically heat free). If you need them then frozen soda bottles work well in controlling temps. With bottles you don't have to worry about spilling and I believe they omit less moisture. When your ready to go for it, let us know if you have any questions.

Chris

I am with Chris about dust and there are also other members who swear dust is better than pellets for cheese. I have not done it yet but it is on deck and likely this weekend. Gonna run apple first and then try pecan.

Chris, how many hours per row you get? IIRC it goes much faster.

Probably somewhere around 2 or 3 depending on the burn.

Chris

So as to not wait until the last minute....what do you burn dust in? I have the Amazn. I would reckon the dust falls through the holes.

The AmazN tray/maze. Dust doesn't work in the tube.

Chris

So as to not wait until the last minute....what do you burn dust in? I have the Amazn. I would reckon the dust falls through the holes.

Hoping nobody minds my butting in, but below is my favorite way to keep the heat down, without adding too much humidity to the smoker.
Also, Yes Dust Burns cooler. I use an AMNS for my Dust instead of an AMNPS, but other use their AMNPS.
I imagine some dust falls out of the bigger holes, but as long as you don't have it above food it won't hurt.
Here's that Pic:

This was in my Old MES 30:
5b80101c_DSC01278.JPG

Just lit some apple dust for 2 lbs jack. LOL blew a bunch of it away trying to light it... Any tips?

WOW very TBS. Excited. First batch 2018.

Just lit some apple dust for 2 lbs jack. LOL blew a bunch of it away trying to light it... Any tips?

WOW very TBS. Excited. First batch 2018.

I use a Butane torch to light Sawdust, because Propane has too much power & blows the dust around.
However I use my Propane torch to light Pellets, because the Butane torch doesn't shoot the flame in deep enough to get it lit properly.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
Chuggin along just fine. I wasn't sure if I got it started right being the first time I used dust. I'd say the smoke from dust is NIBS: nearly invisible blue smoke. :rolleyes: Hard to tell the dang is even smoking from the house. Got a 2lb slab cut into 5 chunks. AMNPS half loaded aiming 5hr like Chris. Sure hope I get some color. Never got any with cob pellets.

Chuggin along just fine. I wasn't sure if I got it started right being the first time I used dust. I'd say the smoke from dust is NIBS: nearly invisible blue smoke. :rolleyes: Hard to tell the dang is even smoking from the house. Got a 2lb slab cut into 5 chunks. AMNPS half loaded aiming 5hr like Chris. Sure hope I get some color. Never got any with cob pellets.

These are the only Cheese Step by Steps I have in my Index (Oldies but Goodies):
Smoked Cheese
Smoked Cheese Taste Testing Party

Bear

Sam, not sure how far your into this, but you may want to try a slice and see how it is before letting it go the full 5 hours. If I remember correctly you were shooting for a lighter smoke flavor. My lighter and your lighter may be different. It won't hurt the cheese to sample during the smoke.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky