Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phil in bc

Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Kamloops BC Canada
Thought today would be a good day to introduce myself. I'm Phil, i live in Kamloops BC, and I've been stealing ideas and recipies from you guys for many years, thought it was about time i contributed a bit. I read that some of you when smoking cheese only have it on the smoke for a failry short period of time. When i do this, and we smoke a lot of cheese, i generally have it in the smoker for a minimum of 12 hours, and sometimes upwards of 16 hours at roughly 60 degrees F and always with applewood. Here's some pics from the smoke this week, getting ready for the holidays. This cheese is always a hit at christmas, makes great gifts for friends.
In this batch there is two kinds of cheddar, monchego, gouda, mozza, jarlsberg, emmental, and jalapino jack, done on the bradley with home made cold smoke attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_20231210_094346014.jpg
    IMG_20231210_094346014.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20231210_081702427_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231210_081702427_HDR.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20231210_101319384.jpg
    IMG_20231210_101319384.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20231210_192037218.jpg
    IMG_20231210_192037218.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20231210_192356490.jpg
    IMG_20231210_192356490.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 100
Welcome aboard and that's some nice looking cheese. I'm one of those folks that only smokes cheese for a short period of time. My wife and I enjoy lighter more subtle smoke flavor. My kids however like theirs stronger.

Chris

Welcome to the club.

I'm in the 1 to 2 hour time frame for sticks of butter, and 4 or 5 hour time slot for cheese using a sawdust smoke generator.

Welcome! I've only done cheese twice, but this makes me want to do it again. I think I did mine for a couple hours only; though may try longer on a small batch now to see... Thanks for the inspiration.

Doing Mozzarella cheese blocks tomorrow for 3.5 hours using apple and pecan pellets. Ended up doing it for 4.5 hours.

Last edited:
Thought today would be a good day to introduce myself. I'm Phil, i live in Kamloops BC, and I've been stealing ideas and recipies from you guys for many years, thought it was about time i contributed a bit. I read that some of you when smoking cheese only have it on the smoke for a failry short period of time. When i do this, and we smoke a lot of cheese, i generally have it in the smoker for a minimum of 12 hours, and sometimes upwards of 16 hours at roughly 60 degrees F and always with applewood. Here's some pics from the smoke this week, getting ready for the holidays. This cheese is always a hit at christmas, makes great gifts for friends.
In this batch there is two kinds of cheddar, monchego, gouda, mozza, jarlsberg, emmental, and jalapino jack, done on the bradley with home made cold smoke attachment.
Welcome to the forum, your cheese does look very good. Reminds me I have some new cheese in the fridge waiting to smoke. After many success and fails I finally realized that time is hard to duplicate from others. Amount of smoke is what played a huge roll in time smoked. I never got it right by doing everyone else's time, what a learning experience. Seeing your cheese after 12 hours made me think of that. When I first started 12 hours would have looked like smoked chicken lol. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: chopsaw
Reading this thread made me realize I still have cheese in the fridge. But...

I need everyone's honest opinion. I have cheese I smoked in May of 2020 and November of 2021 still vac sealed in my fridge that I basically forgot about.

Is there ANY way it's safe to eat?

20231215_213351.jpg

Reactions: 801driver
I intentionally keep aside a block or two just to see how long it will last.

I've stored smoked cheese for 5 years and it was excellent.

Welcome from PA, Good looking cheese, I smoke mine for 3-4 hours but use hichory wood which is stronger then apple so I'm sure that makes a difference in time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky