Smoked Apple Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beanhall

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 23, 2017
Salina, KS
A friend of mine would like me to cold smoke an apple pie they are going to make. I was wondering if anyone had done this? If you have what flavor smoke do you recommend and how long would you smoke it for?

Thanks

Something mild like cherry. Not sure about smoking the whole pie though. Maybe smoke the apples and then make the pie? I made an bacon apple pie with a bacon streusel topping once. That turned out well. Let us know how this ends up.

It goes without saying, apple wood BUT the idea does not sound good to me at all. If you are still gung ho, odd's idea to smoke the apples sounds alot better to me than whole pie. I would also seriously limit the time too. A kiss of smoke 15m-30m if that. Using some bacon sounds much better than smoking to me.

This is a new one on me. I have to agree with the guys above. Gentle smoke with a short duration.

Really curious as to the results though. . . . .If you pull this one off you will probably make the Carousel!

Good luck and keep us posted,

John

Reactions: Walchit
I've never had much luck smoking fruit--but I have tried several. I find that a very mild fruit wood works the best. The wood that I had the best success with was Orange, and just a hint of smoke flavor.
Let us know how it turns out, good or bad.
Gary

Points for that find. I'll be... Maybe we're overthinking it and the effect is like using a wood stove?

I never did it, but I would think this would be a good job for the "Smoking Gun" that I tried the other week on some Smoked Salmon.
It could even be used on individual slices. And I would think Apple would be a good smoke for an Apple Pie.

Bear

Wow, thanks for all of the great responses. I will update you guys when I decide what I am going to do.

That would be me " the link above" I have smoked a lot of apple pies.
I mainly do them in my Kamado from scratch. I have also smoked them in my offset smoker.
Kamado I usually run @ 300 and smoke pie for 1.5 hours. Until top crust cracks and apple starts seeping out.

Reactions: Walchit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky