Smoked balogna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw 12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Thinking of buying a 5lb log of balogna and smoking it . Anyone ever done it? Temp? Flavor of pellet? Im assuming low temp around 180 maybe? How long to smoke it?

Reactions: JLeonard
Do it all the time rdub.
IIRC last was using Killer Hogs for about 3 hrs @ 250
20221220_221507.jpg
TNJAKE TNJAKE posted a cook and it looked great so I had to try it. Now it's a friend's and family favorite

Keith

Looks like you have some good info from the others!

All I have to add is to make sure you save a few slices back and make a grilled cheese sammich with a slice or 2 in the middle!

It's a regular here as well. I smoke it on the kettle at 225 with hickory or pecan and glaze it with whatever sauce I'm feeling like at the end. Good stuff! The last few pieces have been known to cause arguments!
To me it's worth the few extra bucks to pony up and buy quality bologna. I've cheaped out a couple times and bought a low priced chub out of the meat department at the grocery store and it wasn't near as good. We have a BJ's nearby that sells Dietz & Watson brand for $5/pound and it is excellent.

IMG_3499.jpeg

Scroll through the thread I posted and you can see slices and a sammich

I will cut it all thick if I have the rack space, coat with mustard and rub on 1 side, 1-2 hours , don't turn them into hocky pucks so keep a eye open, score the log run til they open up mustard and rub give a hour or 2 if you don't have space. I prefer the thick sliced.

Reactions: jcam222
I do mine a little different. I slice the chub into about 3/8 inch thick round slices and coat with BBQ sauce on a baking sheet. Then I put each slice on a pretty hot smokey grill surface and cook/smoke till they are almost singed and flip over to finish off the other side. To me it is a lot quicker overall and gives a more even smoke across to the whole slice to have as a sandwich or cut a few slices into little chunks to go with cheese and crackers. Thanks for posting and enjoy.

It's a regular here as well. I smoke it on the kettle at 225 with hickory or pecan and glaze it with whatever sauce I'm feeling like at the end. Good stuff! The last few pieces have been known to cause arguments!
To me it's worth the few extra bucks to pony up and buy quality bologna. I've cheaped out a couple times and bought a low priced chub out of the meat department at the grocery store and it wasn't near as good. We have a BJ's nearby that sells Dietz & Watson brand for $5/pound and it is excellent.
I bought a 5lb log today idk of its good quality or not its bryan brand 5.99lb didnt have much choice

I buy a hole log slice it 1/4' thick and smoke it in M/B elect 30" smoker. I smoke it at 225deg for 1hr using Jack Daniels wood chips, chunk a few slices 1/4" add to scumbled eggs. I have a commercial slicer which makes slicing easy. I will freeze it 6 slices to a pack, also good for fried sandwiches. I hang mine using bbq wood skewers

We had fried baloney sandwiches this last week. Growing up my dad ALWAYS put a chunk of baloney in the smoker when he smoked a brisket. That's what he'd make his lunch with for the following week at work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky