Smoke ring on electric?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tdcarter

Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Okay a little while back I read some comments and got the impression that said electric smokers do not produce a smoke ring.

Attached are some pictures of a pork shoulder I did the other weekend for the gf's fall family gettogether. Smoker was a MES 40", smoke generated via stock set-up, not from burning in AMAZE or other add-on unit.

Is this not a smoke ring(?), am I confused or is there more to this science then we know?

56af4195_IMG_2598.jpg

ee998a43_IMG_2608.jpg

Thanks for any insight.

T

Looks like a smoke ring to me!!

Honestly it makes no change to the taste tho.

Craig

As I understand it with electric units there will probably be a smoke ring but it usually isn't as pronounced as it is with a stick or charcoal burner. But what do I know I don't even own a electric unit.

Looks like a smoke ring to me!!

Honestly it makes no change to the taste tho.

Craig
I don't doubt the 'no change to taste' part. Espically when you pull the pork, mix it all up and then eat. You gonna be eating some smoke ring and some non-ring showing stuff. It's all good. The exception there is the bark, gotta get that mixed through.

T

That's a smoke ring all right. As the others have said it doesn't affect the taste any but it looks cool. Nice job on the PP

icon_cool.gif

I guss this is one of those if it looks like a ring then it has to be a rig. It sure looks like a smoke ring to me.

I smoke with an electric and only every once in a while do I get some smoke ring. Like everyone was saying, I taste no difference with or without. I just like the look of the ring. I did actually get a bit of ring on my first turkey.

Interesting. I've been wondering why I never seem to get a smoke ring on my stuff (MES 40"), but that might be it. I also did a PP recently and had a great smoke-ring on it, but nothing else seems to get one.

I don't get one on my MES 40 using my AMNS but if I throw chips in the chip tray (when I run out of dust...DOH!) it does give me a slight ring. Nothing like my charcoal of course but it is there. I know it doesn't change the taste, but I sure like seeing it HAHA!

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky