Smoke meat and cancer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muka

Original poster
Sep 7, 2017
Dallas
I'm sure this was discussed but I cannot find any post on it.
Someone sent me an article about Smoked Meat linking to cancer. What do you guys think? I was just getting in the groove until I saw this article.

Nothing new. The same has been said about grilled meat, even though man has been eating it for millennia. My motto has always been, “everything in moderation, including moderation”.

Most articles reference fat drippings on charcoal burning and charred foods. improper fuels, use of lighter fluids and stuff to light charcoal. The added sodium or nitrate in your diet.
The bulk of the articles say to limit sodium and charred foods. Use proper fuels from good sources and use proper safe cooking techniques.

San Francisco Area news... You, being from Texas, "could" have second thoughts about their articles...

I'm going out on a limb here by guessing.... Texans eat more BBQ than Californians...

Texas as a whole is well below the national average in cancer deaths, with 158.6 deaths per 100,000 population compared to 174 per 100,000 for the United States.

California is slightly lower than Texas...

I agree with the post about moderation.

Too much alcohol can give you liver cancer, yet a glass of wine a day may be beneficial.
Too much red meat may give you colon cancer, yet it is great for iron and protein.
Too much sun can give you skin cancer, yet you need it for vitamin D production.

All within moderation, and all should be good my friend :)

If your into CLA's then Velveeta is better for you then whole milk cheddar's. Unfortunately it's also higher in preservatives and sodium.

Chris

San Francisco Area news... You, being from Texas, "could" have second thoughts about their articles...

I'm going out on a limb here by guessing.... Texans eat more BBQ than Californians...

Texas as a whole is well below the national average in cancer deaths, with 158.6 deaths per 100,000 population compared to 174 per 100,000 for the United States.

California is slightly lower than Texas...
Yep.We eat BBQ about once or twice a week.(in Texas) at least i do.
HT

I only did the smoked Velveeta mac and cheese once!!!!

Haha.. well I saw a recipe the other day with a whole pound of Velveeta and like a stick of butter. I saw how many calories and how much sodium in it and was in shock. :eek:.. Was really high.. it said served 6 and it really looked fatty . It's just meant to eat once in a while.. no biggy for most people.

It's a blanket statement when they say smoked meats.. they keep tossing in charred and seared food on grills and meats cooked over coals in with smoked meat. Not what I do in the ECB at all.. They add in all this crap about nitrates and nitrites being bad.. But we know that we use safe limits of those to cure.. You don't gourge on that stuff .. we all know not to over induldge. Everyone should know to use good quality fuels to cook with.
Those articles all mention family history and this factor and that factor Or .. this study and that study.. They fail to say it's 3,000 times safer than smoking Or it has 200 x less than this green vegetable has that we all eat.. Or that water in bottles is allowed to have more of this and that than processed foods.. Bunch of stats they can toss out and twist around to try and make their point..
Ridiculous garbage if you read into it.

Earlier this past summer I was taking a 14 week weight-loss class held by my medical insurance provider. Wasn't really learning anything new, but I'd pick up a few jewels of insight and it got me out of the house to someplace other than the grocery store.

The nutritionist teaching the class, a vegetarian, did a great job of not condemning anyone's food choices until one of the other guys in the class brought up smoking and grilling meat. She said "each bite of smoked, grilled, or processed meat is no different than smoking a cigarette." It took every ounce of self-discipline I possessed to keep from saying something unprintable here.

I thought about getting up and walking out of class, but it wouldn't prove anything. I even thought about venting here on the forum, but why sing to the choir. I came up with a better idea. Each time she asked us how we were managing our eating, I talked about how many fewer calories I was consuming by grilling, smoking, and processing my own meat. She never again repeated the cigarette comparison, but I saw the thought slam into the back of her face time and time again.

I guess I'm really in trouble then, as I love smoking foods as often as I can and I've been a firefighter for 30+ years!

I guess I'm really in trouble then, as I love smoking foods as often as I can and I've been a firefighter for 30+ years!

Fortunately for you..... every smoky breath you take while on duty, negates every smoky hunk of meat you eat... You are good for 1,000 years my friend, and thank you for your service to your community...

I bet the article was written by a vegan who is a member of PETA.

My organization, also called PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) calls the article for what it is - a broad generalization. There were no numbers.

Reactions: rjob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky