Smoke meat and cancer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You die when your numbers up! Mom started smoking cigarettes at 14. Most of her life she smoked a pack a day, two if there was socializing. The first 30 years she ate Smoked and Preserved meats because after the annual hog slaughter, that was what there was other than chickens on their small farm. Mom's weight was never under 200 pounds after the first birth, me, and by 50 had mild diabetes and high blood pressure managed with meds. Her favorite food was anything Sweet especially Donuts, Goodies she called them and preferred a donut or two with coffee for supper over a steak dinner. Mom passed just shy of her 90th birthday from complications stemming from Hip Surgery. She was buried with a pack of cigarettes and a dozen donuts.
My daughters best friend was a guy she went to high school with. John was a Football player and ran Cross Country Track. He didn't smoke, take drugs or drink. He followed a low fat diet high in vegetables using very little salt. John loved my Smoked Ribs. At 23 years old he died of a massive Stroke for no apparent reason. Just fell over eating breakfast and in mid conversation with his mother.
In the 90's Eggs would kill you quicker than a bullet. Now, eggs are AGAIN considered a complete protein loaded with vitamins and mineral and darn near a Super Food. I refuse to put any value on studies that state that which we know from a millennium of consumption is perfectly fine to eat, suddenly is a killer food to be avoided at all cost...JJ

Reactions: mig madness
Fortunately for you..... every smoky breath you take while on duty, negates every smoky hunk of meat you eat... You are good for 1,000 years my friend, and thank you for your service to your community...

Oh COOL!!!!!! There for a minute I was contemplating playing it safe today and not doing the double smoked ham (NOT!) - Thank you Sir

Denny

My wife was recently telling me to smoke less meat because of the health concerns. Just got my smoker at the start of the summer, and at my peak, I was smoking meat once a week.

She was concerned about the health impacts (whole family was eating the meat, including the kids), so I've agreed to do it every 2 weeks at the most.

I do cook meat on the grill weekly though (don't burn it)

Since "man" found fire, all his meals were cooked in a smoky environment... And he slept in a smoky cave... I thought that would have made him extinct due to the cancers from the fire and all the meat he ate.... I guess some stories are wives tales from the vegan press...

I come from a Polish family of Butchers. Smoked meat has been eaten at least once a day, usually twice a day for generations. The average life span is 85 years, two of my Aunts that are well into their 90's and are in independant living homes. And NOBODY is Skinny!...JJ

I drank like a fish up til 3 years ago. I've smoked cigarettes for 55 years, since I was 15 (2 packs a day for 15 years) and eat smoked everything almost daily. No cancer.
My little brother quit smoking 30 years ago, drank responsibly, and ate very little smoked meat.
Cancer killed him last year.
It's not what you eat, it's just the luck of the draw.
Gary

Ummmm..... You do know there are more nitrates and nitrites in green leafy vegetables than there are in "cure", right? Why do you think all those "uncured" meat products in the store have "all natural with no cure added" and the asterix of except those naturally occurring in celery juice.

Most people get more nitrates & nitrites from salads and other vegetables than they do from those evil smoked and grilled meats.

Still staying with my original post - Militant Vegan news

You should read some of her articles on recommended things to eat - bottom line - her dining life has no joy. So sad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky