Smoke Daddy Clean Up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old poi dog

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 26, 2007
Maui, Hi.
FYI:  Yesterday I used my Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna to smoke some marlin.  After a 7 hour smoke, the inside of the Smoke Daddy was Nasty.   I  took the bottom and top off and put them in a pail of hot water that contained some laundry detergent and Simple green.  I waited 20 minutes and took a rag and round toilet bowl brush to the Smoke Daddy.  Cleaned it right up, took off all the nasty creosote and stuck on burnt chips. 
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Yea you don't see many folks here smoking Marlin. Now marlin are really fun to catch but most of the time it's a catch and release thingy here in east side of Fla. Now you can leave off the brushing that really doesn't do anything for me.

icon_mrgreen.gif
I will post Q-views of the Smoked Marlin on the next Smoke.  Right now I am working on uploading pictures from my PC rather than Photobucket.  I'm not sure if the problems with Photobucket have been resolved.  I have the free version of Advanced Care and I am not sure if it is good enough to catch any bugs that are imbedded in their pop up ads.  I know that  was an issue a few months back.

Until the Q-views are up:

I make a simple brine of 1 part shoyu,  1 part water, 1 part brown sugar, and Grated ginger. I also add chili pepper flakes for slight heat.  (You could add fresh course ground pepper if you wanted).

I cut the marlin fillet into 2 inch by  4 inch strips.  Then I put the marlin in the brine in a ziplock bag.  I'll let em soak in the refrigerator for 4 days....Lomi every day.  (Flip the baggie and massage daily)

Then into the smoker at 150 degrees at 7 hours.  With the Smoke Vault in combination with the Smoke Daddy, I could maintain the 150 degrees and still pour on the smoke.  Without the smoke Daddy, the lowest   I could get the smoker was 190 degrees and for the wood I was using, (madacamia nut) I couldn't get the consistant smoke I needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky