SmokeFire Double duty . Beef knuckle and strip steaks .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Broke down and smoked a beef knuckle roast . The whole knuckle breaks into 3 whole muscle sections . This would be a center cut sirloin tip ( cap off ) . Plan is to use this for sandwiches later in the week . Meal for the day will be strip steaks from the loin I broke down a while back .
Heated up the SmokeFire and set it to smoke boost .
Nice clean hunk of beef . I think I paid $3.79 a pound for this . Normal price is $3.39 .
20220501_131442.jpg
20220501_131447.jpg
Coated with a brush on steak sauce .
20220430_165223.jpg
20220501_131700.jpg
Ran smoke boost for 3 hours , then set it to 250 until the internal temp
reached 130 .
20220501_153854.jpg
Off the smoker and resting . This will go in the fridge over night .
I recoated with seasoning then bagged it up for another day .
20220501_165612.jpg
The main plan was to grill some steaks at high temps . This will kind of be the end of my almost year long
learning curve with a pellet grill .
So the roast was done about and hour before I wanted to do the steaks . I just let it run at 250 .
I got 3 nice strip steak out the night before . Seasoned them up and held overnight in a plastic bag .
I want the moisture to stay in the bag so it re-absorbs .
20220501_072026.jpg
Next day out of fridge and warming a bit .
20220501_175213.jpg
I walked the SmokeFire up to 600 degrees . I take it slow , about 100 degrees at a time .

This thing is like a blast furnace . Read out says 600 , but it's past that .
20220501_175930.jpg
Put the steaks on . This thing is hot .
20220501_180055.jpg
Only flipped once . At this point I backed the heat down to 500 .

20220501_180742.jpg
Inside and resting . These only took about 6 minutes total .

20220501_180839.jpg
20220501_180845.jpg
Plated up with garlic green beans , mashed potatoes .
Been making compound butter . This had everything bagel seasoning in the butter .
Butter was made from heavy cream .
20220501_182205.jpg
Just the way I like it .
20220501_182254.jpg
Didn't get back to the roast until last night . Rested in the fridge for
2 days . Sliced up and made a sandwich .
20220502_121239.jpg
20220502_121406.jpg
Sliced a bunch and put it in the Pyrex bowl . Did my usual reheat using
beef broth and Lipton onion mushroom soup mix .
I pull it off pretty rare , and this further cooks the meat .
20220504_184032.jpg
Had some take and bake rolls . Added caramelized onions and horseradish .
Air fryer fries . Added some roasted garlic base and white wine to some of the sauce and reduced it by half .
Dipped the buns in that and made the sandwich .
20220504_185133.jpg
That beef comes out so tender like this . It's a great way to do lean cuts of beef .
I mentioned the butter . Been doing it with heavy cream , mixing the seasonings in
and wrapping in plastic .It comes out really good .
20220404_150624.jpg
Got bored the other day so I made a butter press .
Did a small and a large .
20220404_150617.jpg
20220404_150632.jpg

I use the big one for store bough sticks .
20220409_164844.jpg
20220409_170145.jpg

That's enough of that .

Attachments

• 20220504_152800.jpg
    20220504_152800.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 16
Broke down and smoked a beef knuckle roast . The whole knuckle breaks into 3 whole muscle sections . This would be a center cut sirloin tip ( cap off ) . Plan is to use this for sandwiches later in the week . Meal for the day will be strip steaks from the loin I broke down a while back .
Heated up the SmokeFire and set it to smoke boost .
Nice clean hunk of beef . I think I paid $3.79 a pound for this . Normal price is $3.39 .
View attachment 631018
View attachment 631019
Coated with a brush on steak sauce .
View attachment 631017
View attachment 631020
Ran smoke boost for 3 hours , then set it to 250 until the internal temp
reached 130 .
View attachment 631021
Off the smoker and resting . This will go in the fridge over night .
I recoated with seasoning then bagged it up for another day .
View attachment 631022
The main plan was to grill some steaks at high temps . This will kind of be the end of my almost year long
learning curve with a pellet grill .
So the roast was done about and hour before I wanted to do the steaks . I just let it run at 250 .
I got 3 nice strip steak out the night before . Seasoned them up and held overnight in a plastic bag .
I want the moisture to stay in the bag so it re-absorbs .
View attachment 631029
Next day out of fridge and warming a bit .
View attachment 631030
I walked the SmokeFire up to 600 degrees . I take it slow , about 100 degrees at a time .

This thing is like a blast furnace . Read out says 600 , but it's past that .
View attachment 631031
Put the steaks on . This thing is hot .
View attachment 631032
Only flipped once . At this point I backed the heat down to 500 .

View attachment 631033
Inside and resting . These only took about 6 minutes total .

View attachment 631034
View attachment 631035
Plated up with garlic green beans , mashed potatoes .
Been making compound butter . This had everything bagel seasoning in the butter .
Butter was made from heavy cream .
View attachment 631036
Just the way I like it .
View attachment 631037
Didn't get back to the roast until last night . Rested in the fridge for
2 days . Sliced up and made a sandwich .
View attachment 631023
View attachment 631024
Sliced a bunch and put it in the Pyrex bowl . Did my usual reheat using
beef broth and Lipton onion mushroom soup mix .
I pull it off pretty rare , and this further cooks the meat .
View attachment 631026
Had some take and bake rolls . Added caramelized onions and horseradish .
Air fryer fries . Added some roasted garlic base and white wine to some of the sauce and reduced it by half .
Dipped the buns in that and made the sandwich .
View attachment 631027
That beef comes out so tender like this . It's a great way to do lean cuts of beef .
I mentioned the butter . Been doing it with heavy cream , mixing the seasonings in
and wrapping in plastic .It comes out really good .
View attachment 631040
Got bored the other day so I made a butter press .
Did a small and a large .
View attachment 631039
View attachment 631041

I use the big one for store bough sticks .
View attachment 631042
View attachment 631043

That's enough of that .
Always wondered about knuckles, but my meat guy is not good English speaking. thanks

Looks really, really great Chop. Boy you got me sold on the kettle now I want a pellet grill. If I bring home another appliance the wife is going to kill me.

Enlighten me on how you made the butter press? How does it work?

That all looks delicious Rich! You definitely have that grill dialed in. But that sandwich is talking to me in many languages! Really like reheating the meat that way also. Your craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me...Great job on that.

Ryan

Looks really, really great Chop. Boy you got me sold on the kettle now I want a pellet grill.
Thanks Cliff . You know I like my kettles . I never expected to like the pellet grill so much . Thanks for the comments bud .
Enlighten me on how you made the butter press? How does it work?.
I have all kinds of hard wood scraps in the shop . I save it all . Built a box , then I use a moulding head on my table saw the cut the ridged profile . Made the plunger to fit the box , and made the guide .
I put the plunger in the box , then plastic wrap and fill it with the soft butter . Put it open side down on a plate , and press the shape . Pull the press off .
This was done with store bought stick butter .

20220409_165619.jpg
20220409_170130.jpg

Thanks Cliff . You know I like my kettles . I never expected to like the pellet grill so much . Thanks for the comments bud .

I have all kinds of hard wood scraps in the shop . I save it all . Built a box , then I use a moulding head on my table saw the cut the ridged profile . Made the plunger to fit the box , and made the guide .
I put the plunger in the box , then plastic wrap and fill it with the soft butter . Put it open side down on a plate , and press the shape . Pull the press off .
This was done with store bought stick butter .

View attachment 631044
View attachment 631045
Thanks, I don't have your carpentry skills or equipment but I bet I could make a crude version of that.

That all looks delicious Rich! You definitely have that grill dialed in. But that sandwich is talking to me in many languages!
Thanks Ryan . Appreciate the comments . Yup from low and slow to a high temp grill . Should have smelled those steaks when they hit the grill .
Glad to hear your girl is back to normal . Mine has something going on with her front feet . Had an infection in one toe . He said it might be a cancer they get at the base of the nail . I spend 90% of my time with her . I hate to even think about it .
Rescued from a working ranch in southern Missouri .
1651761475855.jpeg

That's some good looking meals
Thank you Jim . Appreciate that .

Thanks, I don't have your carpentry skills or equipment but I bet I could make a crude version of that.
It doesn't have to be fancy , or square . My Mom has some old butter molds . You could use a lid from a mayo jar .

Man that all looks great Rich! Especially that knuckle! I had a large eye round saved in the garage freezer for making that exact thing out of. Came home yesterday and the fridge had died and lost everything in it and the freezer. Had to have a couple extra beers to get over it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Everything looks great Rich! I never done a knuckle but that looks like a killer sandwich. The steaks came out perfect too!

I’m going to see a Smokefire up close and in action this weekend. My brother bought one recently and loves it. I’m gonna head down his way Saturday for some dinner and beer.

I like doing compound butters a lot. They’re a great way to use up those fresh herbs. I’ll make a log, twirl it up in saran wrap and then cut into discs for convenience and freeze. I recently tried making my own with heavy cream, I added cinnamon and honey. It came out great and a great way to use up heavy cream just sitting in the fridge.

Boy howdy Rich, I'm starving and these pics are making it worse! Some fantastic work there, drooling over that steak. RAY

Beautiful work Rich, both the food and the press.

Point for sure
Chris

That's a pretty girl you have there! Hope she turns out OK also!

Ryan

Man that all looks great Rich! Especially that knuckle!
Thanks John . I really like the texture of the knuckle / sirloin tip . I had a cold sandwich before I dumped the juice on it . Apple wood smoked horseradish ( store bought ) on the bun . It's good like that . I have about 1 1/2 pounds still rare .
I had a large eye round saved in the garage freezer for making that exact thing out of. Came home yesterday and the fridge had died and lost everything in it and the freezer. Had to have a couple extra beers to get over it.
That sucks . I have an alarm in the fridge I hold all the subprimals in . That only helps if I'm home .
EOR works great for this too .

Everything looks great Rich! I never done a knuckle but that looks like a killer sandwich. The steaks came out perfect too!
Thanks Joe .
I’m going to see a Smokefire up close and in action this weekend. My brother bought one recently and loves it.
I know why he does . Let me know what you think .
I like doing compound butters a lot. They’re a great way to use up those fresh herbs. I’ll make a log, twirl it up in saran wrap and then cut into discs for convenience and freeze.
Just the fresh from cream with a little salt is fantastic .
I normally just spun it up in plastic like you say , but being in the shop heals me .
In the plastic is a great way to do it . Like you say pre cut it in a size you want to use and freeze is the best .
1651770212532.jpeg

Wow...and I mean WOW!! All of that looks amazing. Some gorgeous cooking going on there. Excellent job Rich.

Robert

Boy howdy Rich, I'm starving and these pics are making it worse! Some fantastic work there, drooling over that steak.
Thanks Ray . I forgot you got the magic wand .
The steaks were good . That butter really adds t it .
Beautiful work Rich, both the food and the press.
Thanks Chris . Appreciate both those comments bud .

Wow...and I mean WOW!! All of that looks amazing. Some gorgeous cooking going on there. Excellent job Rich.
Thanks Robert . I got the SmokeFire figured out . I really like it . Need to get my Kettles uncovered and makes sure the grates aren't getting rusty !
Wow! Everything is perfect and a test image to well rounded craftsmanship! Awesome as always!
Thank you Jed . Appreciate that bud .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky