Smoke Box Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

russki1313

Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
So i have a general smoking question.
When using propane, is it a good idea to have a lid/cover over the smoking box (container with chips)?
What about when using charcoal/electric hotplate?
Can someone post pics of their setup for either of these scenarios.
Thanks
Kevin (newbie)

Kevin,

I have a GOSM that came with a small wood chip pan and cover. I modified it by using a larger wood chip pan (saucepan with handle removed). I use the stock cover plate, as it keeps the wood chips/chunks from starting on fire.

I don't always use the lid on mine in my gosm...usually only if I have removed the water pan. That way nothing will drip down in there and cause a fire.

I add some smoke when I use my Weber backyard gas grill. It was an easy set-up.

The grill has two layers of 'flavorizer' bars; the long lower bars protect the gas elements and the shorter, purpendicular top bars help deflect the heat evenly around the entire grill.

I took a 6" x 4" piece of expanded steel, and put it between the two layers in the "lower left" corner. When I put meat or chicken (or whatever) on, I put some chips on that small surface. It adds a nice light hint of smoke.

It's far easier than dealing with smoke boxes and covers etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky