Sloppy Joe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Or as my wife calls it.
PA Dutch hamburger bbq. Popular eats at auctions, larger garage sales in and around Lancaster county PA.

This is her moms recipe.
IMG_5140.jpg

I'm going to jazz it up some.
IMG_5141.JPG

After the jazz.
IMG_5142.jpg

Here is the recipe card, as you can tell its been around the block a few times.

My wife up's the ketchup to 1 1/2 cups because it will thicken.
At times she will add pickle relish. Chopped or diced onion.

I bet some diced new potatoes would be good in it.

IMG_5143.jpg

Pretty simple recipe. Looks tasty.
I'll bet you already have some sourdough bread or home made buns to go with it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Been down the PA coal miner barbecue hole and that is indeed legit as it gets. THANKS for sharing! Can I ask, is that mustard powder or yellow prepared? PERFECT choice to tweak it.

Last edited:
Spent some time last night watching a few you tube sloppy joe recipes that came up on my feed. Must be a sign. If my kids liked them more, I'd eat them weekly.

Love sloppy joes, just a bun, a slice of American cheese, the SJ, a second slice and the top bun! Bam Bam.

I'm going to have to try that BTB Smokey Chippotli

If my kids liked them more, I'd eat them weekly.
We run them near weekly. We all have own own tweaks and easy to do. Myself, I like a nicely toasted bun open faced. Wife butters hers. Youngest likes pickles and slice of cheese. Buddy of mine brings some for card games adds a bunch of sliced hot wax peppers.

Reactions: bill ace 350
We run them near weekly. We all have own own tweaks and easy to do. Myself, I like a nicely toasted bun open faced. Wife butters hers. Youngest likes pickles and slice of cheese. Buddy of mine brings some for card games adds a bunch of sliced hot wax peppers.
the toasted bun is key for me.

Looks great. Sloppy Joes are a real favorite for me! Love the well used recipe card, reminds me of my grandmas cards.

Been down the PA cola miner barbecue hole and that is indeed legit as it gets. THANKS for sharing! Can I ask, is that mustard powder or yellow prepared? PERFECT choice to tweak it.
Regular ol prepared mustard. If you can find Plochman's even better.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky