Shoulder Picnic Roast or Shoulder Butt Roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeywray

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Walmart has both Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast and Pork Shoulder Butt Roast, What's the difference? The picnic is 1.18/lb and the Butt is 1.78/lb. I'm leaning towards purchasing 2-3 of these and I'm thinking about going with the Butts using simple logic of you get what you pay for. Is there really much of a diffence between the two? Are these prices fair?

Picnic and butt together make up the whole shoulder. Butt is the top portion, picnic is the lower portion. I prefer butts for smoking.....picnics seem to have a little more sinew and stuff to them, but are still good eats...........I don't think you would be disappointed if you tried one.

Prices are good for around here.......FWIW

Picnics are good tasty meat but more bone than butts. Like ya said ya get what ya pay for. I usually use a picnic if I want to cure for a ham.

Thanks, can't wait to get you guys some qview of the big upcoming smoke/grill this week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky