Should I smoke it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought he was injured. Had an animal rescue person on his way... but after about 45 minutes, he got up, stumbled around and eventually flew away.

Maybe he was taking a nap???

The grouse around here can get themselves drunk eating some of the ripe berries. Had one fly threw a window on our three season house. Killed himself. Maybe thats what was going on with that hawk. Beautiful bird hopefully he's ok.

Sometimes they're just dazed.

Very few days we don't get a small bird banging into one of our doors or windows.

One time we had a Pileated Woodpecker fly into one of my big front picture windows.

He was laying upside down, so like usual I went out & flipped him right side up. (His eyes were glazed over).

About 20 minutes later he flew off.

About 2 weeks later there was a 4" triangle pecked in one of my Tongue & Groove Soffits.

I told Mrs Bear, "If I'd have know he was going to do that, i'd have stepped on his head, instead of helping him out !!!"

That's what I get for being a nice guy!!

Bear

Last edited:
This was a turkey vulture. I went out afterwards and measured the wingspan based on the picture. I think it was between 5.5' and 6'.

Sometimes they're just dazed.

Very few days we don't get a small bird banging into one of our doors or windows.

One time we had a Pileated Woodpecker fly into one of my big front picture windows.

He was laying upside down, so like usual I went out & flipped him right side up. (His eyes were glazed over).

About 20 minutes later he flew off.

About 2 weeks later there was a 4" triangle pecked in one of my Tongue & Groove Soffits.

I told Mrs Bear, "If I'd have know he was going to do that, i'd have stepped on his head, instead of helping him out !!!"

That's what I get for being a nice guy!!

Bear
This happens here at certain times of the year when the angle of the sun turns windows into "mirrors" and the bird think they can fly right through. Twice I heard a loud bang like someone threw a rock at the window and both times I found a K.O.'d bird out front. One was an American Kestrel, who flew off rather quickly and the other was a Red-Tailed Hawk that was out cold for a bit. When he started to come to, I took advantage of the situation and let him climb up on my welding glove. He sat up on my hand until he regained his bearings and then flew off. It was amazing to feel the strength in those talons. I have a feeling both of them were in pursuit of doves in flight.
This was a turkey vulture. I went out afterwards and measured the wingspan based on the picture. I think it was between 5.5' and 6'.
Not very common to have turkey vultures moving at high enough speeds to plow into things.. Cool pic!

Last edited:
Ha!! At my age if I had a turkey vulture sitting around in my back yard my first thought would be "Damn. Does he know something I don't???"

Gary
That's funny Gary.   Thanks for the chuckle. 
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky