Seasoning pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I season mine overnight at least and often 24 hours in advance. No harm in it sitting longer I’d say.

I think it really depends on how much salt is in the rub. Regardless, what others have said: any time from on hour to overnight should give the rub enough time to work its magic.

Over night is good, but a butt is such a big piece of meat that your not going to get much of that flavor into the butt unless you inject it too!
Al

Reactions: zwiller
I have done mine a couple days in advance to right before and I honestly cant tell a huge difference. Usually just season up shortly before it goes on the smoker.

Reactions: jake0531
All of the above are fine IMHO.
I usually prep my stuff the night before & into the fridge for the night.
However I do that mainly because I tire out easily, and have other things to do in the morning of the Smoking Day.

Bear

Over night is good, but a butt is such a big piece of meat that your not going to get much of that flavor into the butt unless you inject it too!
Al
+1; I like the injection to rest overnight at least.

I agree with Bear. You can’t really season the butt wrong. If you inject it then make sure it is cold enough after that to not grow any germs with it soaks up that flavor. Dry rubs are good for as long as you want them on the meat. The salt will draw moisture but it’s too big and fatty to truly dry out. Have fun with it and enjoy that delicious result of your efforts.

G

You could season beforehand as long as you please, that is to say, you could buy it, season it, freeze it and smoke it a year or two later.

Most folks season either just before cooking or a day or two before.
I prefer to rub the night before, wrap and plastic wrap overnight and add more rub in the morning before putting it on the smoker.

Thanks for everyone's help.
20191221_185859.jpg

Reactions: Norwester55
I have a friend who smokes commercially and he doesn't season his butts at all. Fat side down and smoke at 225 for 12 hours. They are delicious.

I have a friend who smokes commercially and he doesn't season his butts at all. Fat side down and smoke at 225 for 12 hours. They are delicious.
I have done some through the years without rubs as well. The difference is I injected them. Turned out some juicy and flavorful pulled pork sandwiches.

I'm starting to lean in this direction, so many of the rubs I've tried tend to be way to far on the salty side for both my wife and I. Think I might try just seasoning by eye like I would something going on the grill. Who knows till I try?

I'm starting to lean in this direction, so many of the rubs I've tried tend to be way to far on the salty side for both my wife and I. Think I might try just seasoning by eye like I would something going on the grill. Who knows till I try?
I agree with you way to much salty taste. I got extremely tired of buying different rubs only to find that they were salty too. Got lucky one day a couple of years ago and found https://howtobbqright.com/ This guy is from my home state of Mississippi and post tons of videos on YouTube. I saw where he has rubs and other things for sale. I ordered his THE BBQ RUB. It is great and very, very low in salt and gives great flavor. Always good color on any pork. He also has injections, BBQ sauce and other items. THE BBQ RUB both original and HOT is all I have used for over 2 years and I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky