Seasoning advice needed for first chuck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for all this advice everyone! Not sure what I’m going to do with the beef yet, but I’m leaning towards making a French dip type sandwich. Maybe making up a horseradish sauce, Au jus, and putting the meat on some onion rolls or French bread with melted provolone and caramelized onions.

Yumm, I've done that several times with a chucky. If you need a horseradish sauce here is my go to: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/horseradish-cream-sauce-28403 I use an electric hand mixer, I've tried doing it with a whisk and it takes forever.

Reactions: bgaviator
Memphis you say? I have fam there. whats the name and how was it? so far my fav is the germantown commissary. what is/are your fav places for grabbin Q in the area?
That place with the beef ribs was called One and Only. They have several locations around Memphis. It was outstanding. We normally frequent Memphis BBQ Company, but One and Only might have me switching it up more. Central BBQ is outstanding as well, but I’m just never in that part of town to have them often. Not a fan of Germantown Commissary, but I think I got them on an off day. Plus I went there at an off time between lunch and dinner so I’m not sure if that affected my experience. A ton of people like the Commissary though so maybe I’ll give them another try someday.

Went to the BBQ Supply Shop today and told the guy I was planning on making a chuck roast. He gave me some rub suggestions as well. I ended up picking up Malcom Reed’s AP Rub. The guy at the store said that would be good, but that it’s a little heavy on the garlic...but hey, I like garlic. Figured I’d give it a shot. Doesn’t look like there’s a ton of black pepper in the AP Rub, so I might grind some more over the top. I like Malcom’s videos, so I like supporting his business. I appreciate all the suggestions everyone. They all sound fantastic and sounds like no shortage of ways to season these things. I picked up some Oak wood for this cook too as I’ve always heard oak is good with beef. Never cooked with oak before though.

There is if your a Vampire...

Chris

Me & Mrs Bear must be Vampires, because I like Garlic Powder, but we can't handle actual garlic. When we were Kids, my brother used to pull wild garlic out of the yard, while we were playing football. Then he'd wipe the mud off & eat it.
I can only handle a little.
We slept in the same room when we were kids, so I guess his smell kept me safe at night, from Dracula.

Bear

Reactions: JC in GB
That place with the beef ribs was called One and Only. They have several locations around Memphis. It was outstanding. We normally frequent Memphis BBQ Company, but One and Only might have me switching it up more. Central BBQ is outstanding as well, but I’m just never in that part of town to have them often. Not a fan of Germantown Commissary, but I think I got them on an off day. Plus I went there at an off time between lunch and dinner so I’m not sure if that affected my experience. A ton of people like the Commissary though so maybe I’ll give them another try someday.
A couple of years ago I worked in Memphis for several months. I tried em all LOL! In my view Blues City Cafe right across the street from BB Kings on Beale is by far the best in Memphis for pork ribs. The Commissary in Germantown by the railroad tracks is second. Went back a year ago on R & R with the wife and went to both again. Still our 2 favs. Just our opinion. The Historic Rendezvous is not what it used to be. Tourist joint and fairly weak ribs if you ask us.

Smoked Beef doesn't need much help. You don't want to cover up the Great Beef Flavor.
Here's a Step by Step on how I do Chuckies, including the small amount of Seasoning:
Smoked Pulled Beef Chucky

Bear
I will second this. I like using some flavor combos in ribs and often for beef incorporate some coffee and cocoa. That said I just did some beef ribs and went pretty basic. I hit them first with just a light dusting of Accent and then SPOG in a 2/2/1/1 ratio. I used granulated garlic and onion. I did hit them with a very light dusting of dark chili powder and I stress light. Anyway it made for a very nice crunchy tasty bark. I’ll be using that approach on more of my beef cooks.

A couple of years ago I worked in Memphis for several months. I tried em all LOL! In my view Blues City Cafe right across the street from BB Kings on Beale is by far the best in Memphis for pork ribs. The Commissary in Germantown by the railroad tracks is second. Went back a year ago on R & R with the wife and went to both again. Still our 2 favs. Just our opinion. The Historic Rendezvous is not what it used to be. Tourist joint and fairly weak ribs if you ask us.
Haven’t tried Blues City Cafe yet. The only place I’ve eaten at on Beale is BB King’s. They have great food, just too loud for me with the live music. I’ll have to give Blues City a try, the pics look good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky