Sausage Casings--What Ones to Buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cast_Iron

Original poster
Feb 6, 2017
Hey Y'all,

I just purchased a 1hp Cabelas Carnivore grinder.

I have two pigs that I will butcher in 10 days and want to make some breakfast and other sausage out of them.

What brand casings should I buy? 

I have purchased mine from The Sausage Maker, Walton's Inc., and Butcher Packer. Check out their web sites.

I use Waltons. Get the tubed ones makes it a lot easier on your self

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What size casings should I get for breakfast sausages and bratwurst? 

Gatrapper+ congrats on your purchase. I recommend you  start with 32mm casings in both natural and collagen. The smaller sheep casing are fragile and require more experience, also more difficult to stuff with a meat grinder. The brand of casing is not as important ?

also it is much faster more efficent to stuff casings with a sausage stuffer.

Last edited:
I do 32mm from the sausage maker,not a fan of the pretubed jobbies. 

Last edited:
I've been using some pretubed 36/38mm from Syracuse Casing Co. that I really like the consistency of, but I don't care for the pretubed thing. After trying it a couple of times now I just slide them from the plastic to the horn. When I use these up I'll go back to Syracuse but without the plastic....

I use pre-tubed hog casing with great success. The pre-tubed casing are usually packed in salt. I pre-soak  them in cold water two hours before stuffing and overnight in the refrigerator is better. They easily slide on the stuffing horn, feeds very smoothly and makes a nice plump sausage.

Last edited:
Yup, I buy sausage maker or butcher backer casings.  

Remember you get what you pay for.   cheap = cheap.

Last edited:
I use pre-tubed hog casing with great success. The pre-tubed casing are usually packed in salt. I pre-soak  them in cold water two hours before stuffing and overnight in the refrigerator is better. They easily slide on the stuffing horn, feeds very smoothly and makes a nice plump sausage.
They aren't always packed in salt?

For breakfast sausage I do the lamb csg. I like the smaller type 18-22mm I believe, I don't have them in front of me at the moment. I also buy a hank of them, use what you need salt and store in the fridge when done. I also get them from a butcher / sausage supplier in the city. I have also bought directly from the butchers. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky