Rookie Blues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texcards

Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
I recently purchased a Pitt Boss Pro Series vertical wood pellet smoker and my first few cooks have been very disappointing. The pork ribs were dry and stringy, the boneless skinless chicken breasts were very dry. The ham, brisket and pork steaks were OK, but not GOOD. Potatoes after 2 hours @ 225* are barely warm and very raw. I have been using Pit Boss Competition blend pellets, most of my recipes have been calling for 225* temperatures and I have been keeping water in the water pan. Am I doing something wrong?
Also the brisket recipe I used said to place the brisket on the grate fat side up. A video I watched said to cook fat side down to insulate the meat from the heat. any thoughts on this?

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
Are you using the installed temp probe or a stand alone temp probe. If its the installed one, buy yourself a good multi-probe thermometer.

Reactions: timberjet
I agree, I just switched smokers and had 2 separate probes for my pre season (ink bird 4 and a no name wireless) to check temp vs the internal temp on the smoker. The internal temp was 50 degrees cooler in my case on a MES 30 causing temps over 325 degrees at a 275 setting. Adding a can to the chimney fixed the issue that I think was caused by wind and I experienced even temps after adding the can.
Good luck
Bill

Reactions: JC in GB
Fat side up or down is a matter of what results you are looking for. I like fat side up as the melting fat is pulled into the meat aided by gravity. Also, fat side up gives a better bark on the meat side. Another reason I don't like fat side down is that the fat always gets clogged in the grate holes and makes a big mess to clean up. I guess I could put the meat in a pan but I like the smoke to hit all sides of the meat. My $0.02....

Good luck, you will figure it out with some practice.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky