Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

young smokey

Original poster
May 10, 2013
Hey guys smoking some ribs this afternoon. @180 how many hours do you recommend smoking them? 2 racks, 6lbs

Last edited:
I'm doing some now also and i'd go hotter than that.   I stick to around the 225 area and just do 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 if you're doing baby back's which is what i'm doing today. 

You really need to get the temp up to at least 225* in your smoker. There are many methods explained here for baby backs a good option is the 2-2-1 method. At 225 your ribs would be done in 5 hours (2-2-1) I typically run my smoker at 265* and the ribs are done around  hour 4.

yes......out of the foil but still in the smoker. If you like to sauce your ribs, the last hr would be a great time to do it..... For baby backs I do a 2-1-1.. I like a little tug on the ribs not fall off the bone...

2-2-1 will most likley get baby backs to fall off the bone.....................Smokem at 225

Boykjo

Last edited:
The guys have you covered...Good luck!  Let us know how it goes, and say it with pictures!!
thumb1.gif

Red

I'm smoking 3 racks of baby backs right now for a little get together...I smoke the whole time, keep temp @ 225* and they're usually ready in about 4-5 hours. Foiling works, but I just keep 'em mopped and sauce the last hour!

Ciao,

~Brett

I am doing three racks as we speak I do 3 hours 250-275 then 1 hour wrapped in foil with some apple juice in it. Then out of the foil and on grill for 10 min while sausing..... so freaking good Two hours in foil makes the ribs to mushy to me....

Ive smoked sausage once before and we kept it between 120-160 for about 3 hours, then bumped it up to about 180-200 for an hour to cook it, was this about right? Do you typically keep sausage links at a lower temp?

Ive smoked sausage once before and we kept it between 120-160 for about 3 hours, then bumped it up to about 180-200 for an hour to cook it, was this about right? Do you typically keep sausage links at a lower temp?

That really depends on what kind of sausage, cured or fresh, and there are many different methods for cured sausage depending on the recipe.

That really depends on what kind of sausage, cured or fresh, and there are many different methods for cured sausage depending on the recipe.

It was fresh, uncured links

Fresh sausage should be smoked hot, at least 200*.

Any ground meat needs to reach an internal temp (IT) of 140* within 4 hours to kill any bacteria. We call it the 40 to 140 rule. From below 40* to above 140* in less than 4 hours. This applies to any ground meat or whole muscle meat where the surface has been compromised, injected or probed. This is very important in food safety. While in the danger zone (40 - 140) bacteria can grow and if it's in the zone too long it doesn't matter how hot you get it the bacteria can still make you sick.

Meats that contain a cure are different. The cure will stop any bacteria growth, that is why they can be smoked at a much lower temp.

3 hours at 120 - 160 is pushing it but since you bumped it to 200 for the last hour I'm sure they were over 140.

Fresh sausage should be smoked hot, at least 200*.

Any ground meat needs to reach an internal temp (IT) of 140* within 4 hours to kill any bacteria. We call it the 40 to 140 rule. From below 40* to above 140* in less than 4 hours. This applies to any ground meat or whole muscle meat where the surface has been compromised, injected or probed. This is very important in food safety. While in the danger zone (40 - 140) bacteria can grow and if it's in the zone too long it doesn't matter how hot you get it the bacteria can still make you sick.

Meats that contain a cure are different. The cure will stop any bacteria growth, that is why they can be smoked at a much lower temp.

3 hours at 120 - 160 is pushing it but since you bumped it to 200 for the last hour I'm sure they were over 140.

Good info, thanks alot!

Doing some right now. With the 2-2-1 method. I like my bones to pull out when they're done so its a matter of preference. I had my smoker at 250 for the first 2 hours and just cranked down to 225 for the rest of the smoke.

The last hour is vital to make em "finger lickin good" IMO. Gets that sticky coating on your hands that you can refuse.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky