Ribeye roast question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking gun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Crestwood Kentucky
I have a 10 pound ribeye roast I'm cooking tomorrow morning for a early afternoon dinner. I'll be cooking on my Pecos offset with hickory and a little mesquite.
My question is should I cut the roast in half or can I get a 10 pounder to 135 in around 5 hours? I plan to run temp around 225.
TIA

Reactions: JLeonard
I wouldn't cut it, I have done a few on my Weber in that range and it went 3-4 hours, but I was using the dome therm to ck temp,I have a 17lbs whole ribeye going now on my pitboss, been on for 3 hour with 2 hours running 190-200 in the smoke mode, kicked up to 225 setting at 120 right now but its a thinner cut than a roast . As long as you have a good remote therm where you don't have to peek to ck temp I would bet 3-4 hours, good luck and I have missed more than 1 dinner time frame lol

Reactions: smoking gun
With Prime Rib, it's the thickness that matters for timing.
A 10 pound Prime Rib, will take No Longer than Two 5 Pounders, as long as the thicknesses are the same.

On Edit: I should add that one 10 pounder won't take any longer than one 5 pounder, if they are all the same thickness. Length & total weight doesn't mean anything if thicknesses are the same.

Bear

Last edited:
What Bearcarver said! Don’t cut it but 5 hours may be cutting it a little close. I did an 11.5 pounder yesterday with bones on which took 6 and 1/2 hours to get to 135 degrees at a smoker temp of 225. Don’t forget to build in a 30 minute rest at the end in your timeline.

Thanks guys, I'm not going to cut it. Getting ready to give it the Bear treatment and into the fridge. I've done big roasts before but not one of these. Did these two chuck roasts today on the weber. 16 degrees and a bit windy......Weber dont care..... 20201225_130117.jpg

Not bad @ those Temps!!
Looks Great!
Now let's see some pics of it sliced.
Like.

Bear

Sorry, didnt get pics of it sliced but it was 135 center to thick end and about 140 on the thinner end. I triple wrapped it in heavy foil wrapped in towels, into the cooler and headed to my in-laws for dinner for 12. I also smoked a 5lb. center cut pork loin. It was all very good. Bear, have you ever injected one of these?

Reactions: JLeonard
Sorry, didnt get pics of it sliced but it was 135 center to thick end and about 140 on the thinner end. I triple wrapped it in heavy foil wrapped in towels, into the cooler and headed to my in-laws for dinner for 12. I also smoked a 5lb. center cut pork loin. It was all very good. Bear, have you ever injected one of these?

I'm a bad one to ask about injections:
I'm not into injecting much of anything, and a Prime Rib or "Ribeye Roast" would be about the last thing I would inject. It's already Juicy & carries it's own Wonderful Beef Flavor. I just cover it with Lea & Perrins "Bold", Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, & CBP.
Right now I'm only interested in getting a "Covid Vaccination", before I end up following My Brother to my Death.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky