Rheinhessen Bratwurst Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Here is a recipe I used for making Rhein-Hessen Bratwurst. They are most delicious.

This is more of a fork and blot of mustard sausage than a bun bratwurst IMHO.

Enjoy

Rheinhessen Style Bratwurst

1.5 Kg lean pork

500 g pork belly

2 medium-sized onions

160 ml Riesling

34 g salt

8 g black pepper

1.5 g Mace

4 g ginger powder

1.5 g cayenne powder

4 m Frying intestine 28/30

Soak finely diced onion in Reisling. Mix with seasoned and ground meat.

Grind 6mm plate

JC :emoji_cat:

Here is a recipe I used for making Rhein-Hessen Bratwurst. They are most delicious.

This is more of a fork and blot of mustard sausage than a bun bratwurst IMHO.

Enjoy

Rheinhessen Style Bratwurst

1.5 Kg lean pork

500 g pork belly

2 medium-sized onions

160 ml Riesling

34 g salt

8 g black pepper

1.5 g Mace

4 g ginger powder

1.5 g cayenne powder

4 m Frying intestine 28/30

Soak finely diced onion in Reisling. Mix with seasoned and ground meat.

Grind 6mm plate

Want to try this, a couple questions, What is mace other than what you spray in someones face? and could something else be subed in? Can i use a collagen casing instead a frying intestine?

Want to try this, a couple questions, What is mace other than what you spray in someones face? and could something else be subed in? Can i use a collagen casing instead a frying intestine?
Great question. Made me laugh. Edit * I had visions of someone getting poked in the eye with a mace sausage.

THANKS. Bookmarked. This one looks spot on the few I have saved. Only thing different might be the BP instead of WP. On the mace, I am usually a fanatic for fresh ground from whole but not so much anymore with mace. I think better to use preground or nutmeg.

Reactions: JC in GB

Mace is the outer lacy membrane of nutmeg seed. You can use nutmeg; it has a bit softer flavor.

I haven't used collagen casings but I don't see any reason that you couldn't.

Looks like a great recipe JC!

What are you referring to as fry intestine?

It is the German to English translation. I use regular hog or sheep casings. That is what they are referring to. Casings that can stand a frying pan.

Sorry for the confusion. I kind of had to decode that myself. :emoji_grinning:

Those sound delicious, JC. Yet another sausage I have to try. On the meat, I usually just use boston butt instead of lean + pork belly ....... much cheaper and easier. Only place around here that actually has pork belly is Costco, and I really don't get up to where it is much. My wife goes a couple times a month, but when it comes to meat and what I want her to get, I may as well be speaking Chinese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky