My First Canadian Bacon Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here you go:

Reactions: Worble7
Tha
Here you go:

Thanks

Ok I will start a new thread in a bit about that. Is this the snack sticks mix you buy? I love bloody mary. Thanks Jeff
Yes and this one from Walton’s is good too.

https://waltons.com/bloody-mary-snack-stick-seasoning/

I’ve used several different seasonings for breakfast but have recently settled on a good sausage recipe that I pirated from a good member here and add sage, works really well, but let’s save that for a new thread.
If it's the one I have in mind, it makes an excellent dinner sausage as is, and killer breakfast sausage by just adding sage.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
My first cure seemed like an eternity, now it's like, oh yeah, I need to overhaul what I have curing. Once you do it a couple times, and know what the end result is, the anticipation is gone.

Hello All,
So I only have 3 days left before I smoke the pork loin can hardly wait. But I have a few question's.
1. There is no liquid in the bag at all I have not opened the bag at all to see what it smells like.
2. How long after smoking it can I leave it in the refrigerator before freezing it?
3. Simi freeze it to slice on a slicer?
4. As I mentation before my smoker has a smoke setting not sure what temp that would be guessing 120°-130°? Also could or should I leave the Trager door ajar? to step up the temp slowly as after the smoke setting is 180°

Pics again so you all can see what I'm talking about. TIA Jeff

Attachments

• 20230923_135607.jpg
    20230923_135607.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230923_135616.jpg
    20230923_135616.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 12
1. There is no liquid in the bag at all I have not opened the bag at all to see what it smells like.
Perfectly normal. Some pieces I cure release no liquid at all and any that do, the liquid is usually reabsorbed.

2. How long after smoking it can I leave it in the refrigerator before freezing it?
I don't have an exact answer safety wise, but I usually slice and vac seal whatever isn't getting cooked in the near future within a week. I seal in 1lb packs for convenience.

3. Simi freeze it to slice on a slicer?
Very cold or semi frozen for me, but that may vary depending on the slicer you have.
4. As I mentation before my smoker has a smoke setting not sure what temp that would be guessing 120°-130°? Also could or should I leave the Trager door ajar? to step up the temp slowly as after the smoke setting is 180°
The smoke setting is probably closer to 160° like my Camp Chef. When smoking bacon, I just let it run on the low smoke setting until I have some nice color and then maybe bump it up to 180° if I need to push it along a little. Meat temp generally will lag 15 to 20° below pit temp.

Perfectly normal. Some pieces I cure release no liquid at all and any that do, the liquid is usually reabsorbed.

I don't have an exact answer safety wise, but I usually slice and vac seal whatever isn't getting cooked in the near future within a week. I seal in 1lb packs for convenience.

Very cold or semi frozen for me, but that may vary depending on the slicer you have.

The smoke setting is probably closer to 160° like my Camp Chef. When smoking bacon, I just let it run on the low smoke setting until I have some nice color and then maybe bump it up to 180° if I need to push it along a little. Meat temp generally will lag 15 to 20° below pit temp.
Thanks DougE That gives me good idea on alot of this. Jeff

Reactions: DougE
Hello,
Well today is the day the pork loin goes on the smoker I will set it on the smoke position for I'm guessing for maybe 2 hours? I will post the temps the smoker is staying close. Also the safe temp to kill the bugs or bacteria is 130° IT in what amount of time? or does it not matter with cured meat? Off to soak the meat in water for 2 hours after 1 hour then changing the water. I forgot do I have to leave it in the open air in the refrigerator for 24 hours to dry out or just smoke it after the water bath? I forgot to add there was no bad smell from the meat at all. it was a little slimey when washing but felf fine after. Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
May want to take it to closer to 145. Here an old thread with some helpful info.

B
May want to take it to closer to 145. Here an old thread with some helpful info.
B BigW. I was talking about the safe zone I recall you have to get the meat to a certain temp in a certain amount of time to be safe. Not sure this applies to cured meats I will take this pork loin to 145°-150°.
Thanks Jeff

Reactions: SmokinEdge
One more that explains your "safe zone" that may be helpful to you and others.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky