My First Canadian Bacon Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is 100% for pork not other meats or a mix, just for pork.
And not wild pork. Just domestic.

Ok Thanks again I will keep you posted as we go along. I was going to ask you something but forget now. Jeff
No hurry. It will all come to you and the learning process takes time. No worries.

I plan on doing some her soon and will use pops brine with a range of salt between the lowest and highest, have had the cure for a year or more and got side tracked lol, watching to see how this turns out.

mike243 mike243 Stay tuned I will update when something changes or happens. Just take pics everyday of the same looking pork after I massage it and flip it would be boring :)

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge Interesting about wild pig or raised pig temps. So I will guess a higher IT temp??
Now I have an interesting question I measured the pork this morning and its flating out a little as its 3" now should I adjust my curing time?
Also I see you know a thing or two about making sausage? I will be changing gears here soon as I would like to make that also. Thanks Again Jeff

Reactions: JLeonard
Interesting about wild pig or raised pig temps. So I will guess a higher IT temp??
Now I have an interesting question I measured the pork this morning and its flating out a little as its 3" now should I adjust my curing time?
Also I see you know a thing or two about making sausage? I will be changing gears here soon as I would like to make that also. Thanks Again Jeff
Wild meat should go to 160*F internal.

I would not adjust time. Go at least 14 days if you want to go 16 or 18 that’s fine but don’t go shorter than 14 days, it’s Worth the wait. As for sausage it’s a great hobby and tastes delicious but I warn you around here with all the enablers it can get expensive equipment wise. Lol. But yes I would be happy to help you out there too.

Wild meat should go to 160*F internal.

I would not adjust time. Go at least 14 days if you want to go 16 or 18 that’s fine but don’t go shorter than 14 days, it’s Worth the wait. As for sausage it’s a great hobby and tastes delicious but I warn you around here with all the enablers it can get expensive equipment wise. Lol. But yes I would be happy to help you out there too.
I have a kitchenaid mixer already so I would just get the attachment for it. I know about hobbies costing an arm and a leg. I will only do a max of 10 lbs only so I think I have most of what I need to start. But casings and meat. To start I would only do 2 pounds until I get the hange of it. Let me know your though on what more I would need. Thanks Jeff

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a kitchenaid mixer already so I would just get the attachment for it. I know about hobbies costing an arm and a leg. I will only do a max of 10 lbs only so I think I have most of what I need to start. But casings and meat. To start I would only do 2 pounds until I get the hange of it. Let me know your though on what more I would need. Thanks Jeff
You can get by fine with a Kitchen aide grinder attachment but a dedicated stuffer is almost a must, a 5# unit will work fine for small batches and is good for making snack sticks if you wanted to. Stuffing with a grinder is frustrating at best and can be down right maddening. Making a quality sausage is difficult stuffing with a grinder, it can be done but I don’t recommend it. Also need a scale that can weigh at least 5# for meat, I assume you have a small gram scale.

You can get by fine with a Kitchen aide grinder attachment but a dedicated stuffer is almost a must, a 5# unit will work fine for small batches and is good for making snack sticks if you wanted to. Stuffing with a grinder is frustrating at best and can be down right maddening. Making a quality sausage is difficult stuffing with a grinder, it can be done but I don’t recommend it. Also need a scale that can weigh at least 5# for meat, I assume you have a small gram scale.
What's a decent 5 lb stuffer? ya beef sticks are hella good but want to make breakfast sausage. Now do you have to add cure to the sausage or beef sticks. Thanks Jeff

A lot of us here run the LEM 5# stuffer. I don’t know how much you want to spend $$ wise but the LEM is a good one. Cabelas stuffers seem good to and then there is Hauka (sp) that is on Amazon that some here run and like. For sticks you will want to also make sure you get a 3/8” tube to make small sticks.

You need cure 1 in sticks but not in regular breakfast sausage.

Reactions: Worble7
LEM, while maybe more expensive than some of the other stuffers out there, doesn't have you going on a treasure hunt to find replacement parts if you need them. I haven't needed to replace anything so far, but I know if I ever need to, the parts are readily available.

A lot of us here run the LEM 5# stuffer. I don’t know how much you want to spend $$ wise but the LEM is a good one. Cabelas stuffers seem good to and then there is Hauka (sp) that is on Amazon that some here run and like. For sticks you will want to also make sure you get a 3/8” tube to make small sticks.

You need cure 1 in sticks but not in regular breakfast sausage.
I have looked them over I think I will go with the 5# LEM with the 3/8-9mm snake stuffer.
Also what meat and cure time for the snack sticks? Do you make you own seasoning or buy it?
Thanks Jeff
LEM, while maybe more expensive than some of the other stuffers out there, doesn't have you going on a treasure hunt to find replacement parts if you need them. I haven't needed to replace anything so far, but I know if I ever need to, the parts are readily available.
That will be the one I get :). Thanks Jeff

Reactions: DougE
I have looked them over I think I will go with the 5# LEM with the 3/8-9mm snake stuffer.
Also what meat and cure time for the snack sticks? Do you make you own seasoning or buy it?
Thanks Jeff
You will not regret that purchase. And as DougE DougE said they have good support but it’s not been needed much, that’s a good thing.

Sticks are usually beef or a mix of beef and pork but can also be straight pork. I make a lot of Kabanosy sticks these are Polish style sticks.

As far as seasoning goes some buy mix exclusively, I buy some seasoning but mix most of my own, but things like Bloody Mary mix I buy and some others. Owen’s brand, PS seasonings, Walton’s meat, and Hi Mountain are ones I use for pre mix. AC Leggs is another good one. Btw, all the Cabelas mixes are made by PS seasonings, good stuff.

Reactions: DougE and Worble7
You will not regret that purchase. And as DougE DougE said they have good support but it’s not been needed much, that’s a good thing.

Sticks are usually beef or a mix of beef and pork but can also be straight pork. I make a lot of Kabanosy sticks these are Polish style sticks.

As far as seasoning goes some buy mix exclusively, I buy some seasoning but mix most of my own, but things like Bloody Mary mix I buy and some others. Owen’s brand, PS seasonings, Walton’s meat, and Hi Mountain are ones I use for pre mix. AC Leggs is another good one. Btw, all the Cabelas mixes are made by PS seasonings, good stuff.
Great info Thanks......How long is the cure on the beef/pork sticks? Also what breakfast sausages mix do you use or make? Jeff

24 hour cure is best on sausage meats. I’ve used several different seasonings for breakfast but have recently settled on a good sausage recipe that I pirated from a good member here and add sage, works really well, but let’s save that for a new thread.

Reactions: Worble7
Ok I will start a new thread in a bit about that. Is this the snack sticks mix you buy? I love bloody mary. Thanks Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky