Returning to the game!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kettlesmoker

Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hey all,

Thanks for the help so far! I recently got back to a place after college where I can have a charcoal grill again instead of suffering with the community gas grills. As you imagine I have been putting my grill to serious use.

I bought a Weber 18.5" kettle since it's what I grew up cooking on (I'm 28 now), and had just been grilling on it recently. I woke up on Memorial day and decided to do some hickory smoked ribs, and I'm back hooked! I just bought some baby backs, KC masterpiece, and a rub off of the shelf because I thought I might be a bit rusty, but man they turned out perfectly.

Picked up 90 pounds of Royal Oak Ridge today after seeing the test AND the Lowe's sale here, so you guys are already costing me money. Next up is a pit thermometer (Suggestions?), because I have always adjusted the vents by just feeling the heat.

Anyway I'm excited to get back into it! May pick up a WSM soon as I keep having trouble keeping one side of my banked fire lit!

Welcome back! I have a thermoworks smoke with no complaints but there is a newer therm you can check out in the reviews that just looks amazing if you're willing to shell out the cash.  Search for some reviews on the "fireboard".  Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky