re-smoking a (pulled) pork shoulder which didnt get much smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pboy

Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
hi,

I use a AMZN pellet smoker + MES 30 and am happy with this combo. I usually start my smokes night before but occasionally I will overlook something like taking the wood tray out or fully drying out the pellets and the embers will go out very early when I goto sleep. Then, I wake up and there is minimal smoke flavor and its at 160 degrees ish already.

Sometimes, I have just put more smoke on at this point and pushed it through without wrapping, but it still is missing a little smoke flavor it seems. It is my understanding that smoke adherence is most during lower temperatures of a cook.

I'm wondering, could it be logical to just resume the cook as normal without smoke, then give it a little smoke at the very end, after being pulled? (like how some people do burnt ends). I figure the increased moisture and surface area at this point might make the smoke stick a little better and faster vs trying to force it into something that has already mostly charred.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
That's the thing with smoking meats over night while sleeping..Anything can go wrong at any time. Everybody loves smoked bbq but lately the fad is all these pellet smokers and such.. Load and leave and come back hrs later expecting to pull out a great piece of smoked goodness . But not everyone's views and schedules are the same. Me , I'm old school stick burner to heart . It usualy takes me about 5 to 6 hrs tops to smoke porkbutts .. I've had the issue a few times of not enough smoke flavor to my likening . when this happens i usualy pull it all and place in a pan..add whatever sauce I'm using to the pan and let that meat soak it all up then put it back in the smoker for a few hrs giving it a stir once or twice. Just becarefull when doing this..can easly add to much smoke !!! Hope it turns out well for ya..good luck..
Cheers, Burner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky