Questions about making bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Sonny - Hopefully no stains! We have about 10 pounds of this and was hoping to enjoy some as bacon and not mixed in with things. So you think it's too late to try to get some of the salt out? Soaking won't work?

At this point, done and smoked (?), I don't think you could draw it out for regular bacon.
It seems to me that a raw potato tends to draw salt out. But I wouldn't swear to it.
I am saying don't throw it out. Find uses that will tend to negate the saltiness.

Last edited:
I just made my first bacon a couple weeks ago and before I started, I read though many of the comments from these folks and they offer great advice. My bacon was mild, not salty at all. From my first experience, I would recommend patience. I smoked after 8 days of curing and cooked some right out of the smoker. But each day it aged a little more and got better and better.

I just started my second batch last night. I plan on leaving it in for 12-14 days, and give it a day or two between cure and smoke and a couple days to age..... Smoking is not something that can be hurried!!

Reactions: SonnyE
I just made my first bacon a couple weeks ago and before I started, I read though many of the comments from these folks and they offer great advice. My bacon was mild, not salty at all. From my first experience, I would recommend patience. I smoked after 8 days of curing and cooked some right out of the smoker. But each day it aged a little more and got better and better.

I just started my second batch last night. I plan on leaving it in for 12-14 days, and give it a day or two between cure and smoke and a couple days to age..... Smoking is not something that can be hurried!!

Daveomak was my mentor about Maken Bacon. I "aged" my bacon in a small curing fridge for about 5 days after smoking it and the smell got mellower each day it rested, open, in the cold of that small fridge. (36-38 degrees)
I was thinking about a small outdoor fridge for Water, Soda, and Beer. But when I faced aging smoked Bacon in the house fridge (Her fridge), I jumped up and discovered my "curing fridge" was on sale through that day only.
Glad I made the purchase. And I have Bacon scented Beer cans now....
And she isn't PO'd about the veggies and milk smelling "smoked".

I have a "Pork Belly" thawed out (5 Lb) I want to start curing. My Vacuum sealer is out for repair or replacement right now. And it is really becoming a burden. I may have to resort to Baggie Curing. :emoji_anguished: LOL! :emoji_laughing:

Yep, I figure 25 days to do a bacon. But worth the time. I like Apple dust from pellets right now.

No, there will be no adverse effects if you cut the slab into two pieces. Matter of fact, I have found that it makes handling the slabs much easier. The worst thing is that you'll have 2x as much "waste". That's the ends where you start slicing before you're getting full, perfect slices and the other end where your fingers are getting too close to the slicer blade. I set all of those pieces on a paper plate until I'm finished slicing then get out the cleaver and cutting board, chop all that stuff into "crumbles", and vac seal it separately. That's used to top salads, in soups, in scalloped potatoes, etc. You can never have too much "waste" where bacon is concerned. There's always a nifty way to use it. I do the same thing with Canadian Bacon, dried beef, and any other meat that I cure and smoke.

Just curious....why are you going to soak it in ice water? Not saying it's wrong but I've never heard of it nor have I ever done it. I just rinse the slabs in cool water, apply a light coating of whatever flavorings were used during curing (minus the cure) and set if back in the fridge uncovered overnight before smoking.

Hoping to help a bit,
Robert
Giggle...
'Waste' and 'Bacon' used in the same sentence....are you Crazy?!?!? <sarc>

LOL!!!

Giggle...
'Waste' and 'Bacon' used in the same sentence....are you Crazy?!?!? <sarc>

LOL!!!

:emoji_laughing:
I don't even waste the grease...
Splitting mine in the middle, the only left overs from the slicing are the far ends.

I've "discovered" the wife cuts the slices in half anyway.
So I'm rethinking my packaging scheme.
Got to keep up with the consumers...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky