Question about smoking temperatures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duresk

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Utah
I have a question about smoking temperatures. My father-in-law and I often discuss proper smoking temperatures. By a discussion, I mean that he tells me that I am doing it wrong and I just nod my head and keep my mouth shut. :) Whenever I smoke pork, whether it is ribs, loin or a roast, I smoke them between 225F and 250F. He says I am smoking way to hot and that I should smoke things at 160 and smoke for days not just hours. Almost everything I read says that I am doing it right. Just wanted to get some feedback from people on what temperature they smoke things at and how it works for them.

Side note: everyone who tastes my smoking loves it. So even if I am smoking too hot, it is turning out good.

The temps you cook at are fine that is the temps I use for almost everything. Your Dad is also correct for cold smoking and curing meats and I can't help you there never done it but will someday.

Smoking things at 160 degrees for days? Not a safe practice. First you have to consider the danger zone. Taking 36 degree piece meat and placing it in a 160 degree smoker, it wont reach 140 degrees in 4 hrs and also Days of smoke will make the meat unbearable to eat. Ask him about food safety and if he knows what the usda guidlines are how foods should be cooked

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...XpgUvqpTIW4guqcFu_48NrPELirV6GJj4CnVYzgA!!/#2

Your FIL is talking about the technique for hot smoking fish and cured meats and you are talking about what is properly called Barbeque, two totally different things. Start calling what you do "barbeque" instead of "smoking" and maybe he'll stop contradicting you.

Ditto Cliff, Smoking was a way of curing many moons ago...I will not go into this.

Boykjo nailed it, not only could it be potentially unsafe it would literally turn to carbon at those temps for days.

However you can smoke at 160, but not what you have mentioned, safely anyway.

I usually go by this

Ribs 225 - 235

Pork Butt 250 -275

Loins 250 - 275

Poultry (Varies) 250 325

Cold smoking, under 90° any thing above 100° is hot smoking.

What I would do is smoke a loin at 160° for three days then hand it to him, when he says, "what is this charcoal"?, you say no its dinner...Just Kiddn

You are doing fine

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky