Question about Oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ltsmoker

Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Louisiana
I live in South Louisiana and have Oak Trees around my house. I don't want to sound to dumb but I am new to smoking. I read a lot of the post and see that some people use Oak for Smoking. Can you use a fresh cut branch for smoking or do you have to let it cure for a while? It appears Hurricane Gustov is coming our way and will knock a lot of branches and possibly trees down and I will store some of these. Hopefully Gustov won't blow us away. I am a Police Officer here and have to work, Wish me luck.

Lt.Smoker

You want a somewhat seasoned piece of oak. I woud not use a green one. Since I am surrounded by Oaks and Pines, I have been using my Oak more also. I would remove the bark as much as you can.

I use oak in nearly all of my smokes.....mostly because I have plenty of seasoned oak to use. For me it is used partly as the heat source, and also to bump up the flavor of my lighter woods....cherry and apple.

As Flash said, season it and remove the bark and you should be good to go.....
wink.gif

L8r,
Eric

I mainly use oak and have never had a complaint about it. You should definitely let it season for at least 6 months but I usually let mine go for at least a year to get the best results. Hope you guys get through the storm okay.

Just as a helping hint, when people say season or "cure" like you did, they mean to dry, remove moisture from the wood:-) So, yes Oak is awesome, I wish I had more of it!

Thank you for serving the people and be safe for your family during the hurricane, Thanks again for what you do, we all need you:-)

what every one has said so far is great info.. yea, if you don't have a chain saw..I would get one quick.and if you have time with all the things you are going to have to do. cut oak and stick it in the back of the squad car and take it home.
I would even rent a trailer and haul the stuff home. I guess you might have a fire place also.
I guess you could justify clearing roads.lol.
lowes just got in log spliters for the winter season. I might have to pick one up. go fast and take chances..and enjoy the smoke..

Late on post but yes i use oak (seasoned split and de barked for my smokes it adds more body to light wood smokes) also use pecan and hickory...but all wood needs to be dried out less moisture...6 months to a year...like all have said before ....... God bless and keep ya safe...

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.
Thanks to you for serving the people.....hope you and your family keep safe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky