Pulled pork question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
Both the wife and I enjoy pulled pork from a pork shoulder. After smoking I will vacuum pack and freeze the left overs. I have been buying butt's around 7- pounds and would like to smoke more in one cook to freeze. Is it slower to cook a 14 pound shoulder as apposed to (2) 7 pound shoulders?

Reactions: JLeonard
I haven't seen a single Boston butt go much more than 9, maybe 10 pounds. Any larger package has always been a 2 pack.

Reactions: whistlepig
As far as answering the question, I can pretty much start an 8 or 9 pounder by noon and have it done and pulled before I go to bed (I go hot and fast). 2 of the same size does not add a significant amount of time aside from the recovery time after adding the meat to the cooker.

My OKJ will not even run 225 without a constant fight to keep it lower even with a modest fire in the box ..... it settles in and runs steady around 280 with a couple splits so I let it run there rather than a constant fight to get it lower. There is nothing magical about 225° cooking temp anyhow.

I do wrap in a foil pan at 150 ish where they usually stall to push things along.

Yea a 14lber will take longer the. 2 7lb butts. But like others have said. PP is so forgiving I usually run mine around 275. Sometimes it will get to 300+* sometimes it will get down to 200*. That’s the best part of pork butts/shoulders. They’re so forgiving, I’ll watch the temp but not crazy like I would for ribs, brisket other smokes. And like you said saving and freezing it, it tastes just as good as the day you smoked it

Back when I joined 225 was the holy grail of cooking temps, so it was my go to for years even if I had to fight a cooker that didn't like running that low. Then I came across members running hot and fast swearing there was no real difference in the end result. They were correct and that is how I cook now.

Back when I joined 225 was the holy grail of cooking temps, so it was my go to for years even if I had to fight a cooker that didn't like running that low. Then I came across members running hot and fast swearing there was no real difference in the end result. They were correct and that is how I cook now.
I'm with you. I rarely run below 275

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
On a pellet grill, will run the lowest setting an hour or two to get more smoke, then run it up to 275 or so.

So whats the difference in cook time 225 degrees verses 275 degrees?
Never timed it each way and don't use time in cooking as more than a reference, but I am generally getting 8 pounders done in 6 to 7 hours running hot and fast. Seems like the same size pieces ran me closer to 12 hrs at 225, but don't quote me on that as I'm going on memory.

SmokinAl SmokinAl does a hot and fast butt here, but he foiled later in the cook than I do, so that may be why my finish times are a bit lower.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky