Pulled Pork Green Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
This is a family fav…started kicking it up with smoked pulled pork and that made it over the top. Used an 8lb bone in, got just over 3lbs of finished product.

IMG_0267.jpg

Looks legit to me. What chiles did you use?
I had been buying Young Guns frozen chilis. But the Kroger stopped carrying them. So I need a new hook up. Bueno is a back up, they are ok, but they are chopped real small.

I found young guns online...might just need to go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
I had been buying Young Guns frozen chilis. But the Kroger stopped carrying them. So I need a new hook up. Bueno is a back up, they are ok, but they are chopped real small.

I found young guns online...might just need to go that route.
Not sure your what part of CO you are in, but if you can grow stuff, I just get a few packs of seeds (Hatch NM chiles can be bought) and grow them in the driveway in pots. Have an ample supply for the Fall (ran out a few weeks ago).

8-5-23_nmp-1.jpg

Not sure your what part of CO you are in, but if you can grow stuff, I just get a few packs of seeds (Hatch NM chiles can be bought) and grow them in the driveway in pots. Have an ample supply for the Fall (ran out a few weeks ago).

View attachment 687799
We live at 8200 ft and the growing season would be pretty short…plus all the critters up here would be a challenge to keep them from eating everything…they ate up my wife’s flowers last summer and a bear destroyed the hummingbird feeders after he drank them dry. Got that on security video.

We live at 8200 ft and the growing season would be pretty short…plus all the critters up here would be a challenge to keep them from eating everything…they ate up my wife’s flowers last summer and a bear destroyed the hummingbird feeders after he drank them dry. Got that on security video.
I have a buddy from a wine forum who lives at 6500' in NM, he has the same issues with critters, and he's got a pretty nicely fenced in yard. He does get peppers to grow but has to get them started early and grow them larger inside than it's normally optimal to do.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
The Pueblo chilies from southern Colorado are way better flavor than the Hatch. You may give them a try this fall. They are fantastic chile . They are readily available in Denver once the picking starts.

The Pueblo chilies from southern Colorado are way better flavor than the Hatch. You may give them a try this fall. They are fantastic chile . They are readily available in Denver once the picking starts.
My friends reply to me questioning which chile is better on another forum:

Bwahahahahahahaha..........

Yea they wish. They do grow better weed I think but our green chile' reigns supreme!

Sounds like there might be a difference of opinion depending on where you reside, lol.

My friends reply to me questioning which chile is better on another forum:

Bwahahahahahahaha..........

Yea they wish. They do grow better weed I think but our green chile' reigns supreme!

Sounds like there might be a difference of opinion depending on where you reside, lol.
I bought into that thought for a lot of years, but honestly your Hatch has been left wanting for several years. I’ve bought it for years and know exactly what it is. Then I bought the Pueblo, it’s levels better in flavor. When was the last time you or any of your friends bought some Pueblo? Probably never, but you should. I’m not about pissing matches, but good green is good green. Your Hatch red will never touch NM Chile Chimayo. Promise that’s true also. Stop drinking kool-aide and find the good stuff.

I bought into that thought for a lot of years, but honestly your Hatch has been left wanting for several years. I’ve bought it for years and know exactly what it is. Then I bought the Pueblo, it’s levels better in flavor. When was the last time you or any of your friends bought some Pueblo? Probably never, but you should. I’m not about pissing matches, but good green is good green. Your Hatch red will never touch NM Chile Chimayo. Promise that’s true also. Stop drinking kool-aide and find the good stuff.
Well, they aren't my Hatch chiles, I'm from PA. I do agree the Chimayo chile powder is excellent. Used to get it from Bueno, but I haven't seen it lately on their site. Makes an excellent posole.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
This is a family fav…started kicking it up with smoked pulled pork and that made it over the top. Used an 8lb bone in, got just over 3lbs of finished product.

View attachment 687792
That looks absolutely fantastic! I'm drooling over that bowl right now. Very well done!

I actually tried this myself and it didn't come out so well. I made pulled pork several months ago and vacuum sealed and froze the leftovers. I also managed to load up on hatch chiles while they were in season and roasted, peeled, vacuum sealed and froze a bunch of them.

A couple weeks ago I decided to make a batch of pork and green chili stew. I ended up dumping the thawed pulled pork into the chile/onion/seasoning/stock broth and let it simmer for several hours. The house smelled wonderful, but when I ate the chili, the meat was soft, kind of slimy, and stringy. I've decided next time (I've got the fixins for another batch) I will not put the meat in as soon and I'll chop it up a bit so the "strings" aren't as long, but soon enough in the cook to impart the smokey flavor into the broth.

Any hints from your cook for an amateur like me before I try another batch?

I love pork and green chile stew. Well done!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky