Pulled Chucky - questions before the cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
its been so long I lost my records of how i did these...

thinking about smokin straight through to 200-205 ish and then resting and pulling.

BUT - several write ups have a pan braising or wrap step - necessary or optional?

let me know what you have done that you liked. the goal is pulled beef for samis and tacos and such.

thanks

For me braising in a covered pan is the only way to go. I also take to 208-210 for pulled. Always easy to pull and stays juicy

Yup---I used to do Pulled Chucky like Jake & Rich do, but now I do them in my SV, because it's easier on me, and Mrs Bear likes it better without Smoke anyway. :emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed:

Bear

Reactions: Fueling Around
its been so long I lost my records of how i did these...

thinking about smokin straight through to 200-205 ish and then resting and pulling.

BUT - several write ups have a pan braising or wrap step - necessary or optional?

let me know what you have done that you liked. the goal is pulled beef for samis and tacos and such.

thanks

A chuck can will likely dry out on you. It does so easily.

My approach is to smoke to 180F unrwrapped (I don't care about the stall I want max flavor).
Then I wrap in foil with about 2oz of liquid splashed in where the liquid is often water or old red or white wine in the fridge, etc.

I let it go to 205F before I check for tenderness and if good and tender for shredding I pull it, if not I go a couple more degrees and check again until tender.

That's it :)

so glad you guys have my back! priceless feedback!!! formulating my plan now.

Braising liquid - beef broth? If I added some JD to that would the flavor permeate at all or should I just drink the JD?

I picked up a 4 pounder for $16!! I saw it and knew it had to leave with me. I'll start a new thread for the cook.

I am soaking a corned beef right now to cook as pastrami at the same time.

Reactions: JLeonard
so glad you guys have my back! priceless feedback!!! formulating my plan now.

Braising liquid - beef broth? If I added some JD to that would the flavor permeate at all or should I just drink the JD?

I picked up a 4 pounder for $16!! I saw it and knew it had to leave with me. I'll start a new thread for the cook.

I am soaking a corned beef right now to cook as pastrami at the same time.
I like to use beef broth, butter and Guinness beer........and yes you will get flavor from the JD

Reactions: JLeonard
Same as Jake and chop here, but I use beef broth with beef demi and some times red wine. I do put a thick slices of onion with a few cloves of semi crushed garlic in with the broth as well. I have also added jalapenos or other peppers for a SW flavor as well for tacos.

Oh yes the JD will add a nice flavor to the broth for sure!! I may have to try that vs the wine.

Reactions: chopsaw and TNJAKE
I use beef broth or beef base and some water . If I use bourbon I boil it before I add it in . Beef broth and red wine simmered down to a sauce for serving .

Reactions: TNJAKE
My wife is very finicky on her smoked meat palate, too. Beef is best from the oven for her.
Yup---I used to do Pulled Chucky like Jake & Rich do, but now I do them in my SV, because it's easier on me, and Mrs Bear likes it better without Smoke anyway. :emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed:

Bear
Do you sear the meat before vac seal and in the sous vide ?

My lazy way is to smoke until somewhere between 155-165 range then put in slow cooker in beef broth on low for a few hours until it falls apart.

last question: what cut is this? "round" is all it says. there is a seem in the grain at the top right corner of the label. on the other side there is a fat vein there. Bought this at Costco to try something new. the Kroger ones are all flats and points but they tend to look like butcher room training day...most are kinda funky in shapes and strange random cuts.

IMG_6815(Edited).jpg

last question: what cut is this? "round" is all it says. there is a seem in the grain at the top right corner of the label. on the other side there is a fat vein there. Bought this at Costco to try something new. the Kroger ones are all flats and points but they tend to look like butcher room training day...most are kinda funky in shapes and strange random cuts.

View attachment 490699
It's a round from the rear of the cow instead of a brisket that's in the front. It's probably only slightly leaner than a flat. I'd cook it like a flat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky