Propane smoker needle valve mod question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thats a high pressure valve. You need a low pressure valve like this one.

It gets installed after your regulator and before your low, med, high knob. Get the barbed fittings for the inside diameter of your hose and use hose clamps to secure.

Last edited:
OK... Question.

After i posted the thread, I did a search (yes backwards, I know) and everyone here is installing these all in one kits and they all say high pressure.

Is there anything wrong with using this?

Here's the valve I use:

You could see the built-in needle valve right below the propane regulator. I set my smoker to high and then make any temperature adjustments by turning the needle valve.

The bayou classic assembly is sold at Lowe's for $25. Type in 83441 in Lowe's search box to find the correct one.

I remember reading something somewhere that it's NOT recommend to use that high pressure valve. The burner on these smokers is a low pressure burner. It's not the same as a turkey fryer burner which is a high pressure cooker.

Have others used them, sure. But there's a correct product being made for this application.

Interesting. I'll just get what you suggested

Last edited:
You need to convert the ends of that valve to go inside the gas hose. Some plumb it directly to the on, high low knob, I just cut the hose and added something like there too each end of the valve.

This is just a example of the fitting. It installed the correct size. I went to home Depot after I got the valve and purchase the correct size barbed fittings.

http://www.piecoweb.com/us/barbed-b...qbpTAef34MwhbOtsVLiwlASuDBZjgbKwaAjioEALw_wcB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky