Propane Output Problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

khuhner

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
New York, NY
Many years go, my father built a wooden smoker.

332p30h.jpg

It is outfitted with a single burner stove at the bottom.

r1annm.jpg

The gas connects using quick disconnect 1/4" fittings.

This weekend, I finally decided to fire it up but noticed that on full power the gas stove didnt seem to be strong enough to get the temperature above 100 deg F.

So I took off the top of the burner

4vomzk.jpg

and used a wire brush to clean out the openings as it hasnt been used in a long time.

This is a low pressure stove connected to this regulator:

24ycrc9.jpg

and I adjusted this thinking it changed pressure but it had no affect.

2zqet90.jpg

The hoses and fittings have been checked with soapy water and no leaks were found.

So, I am looking for suggestions as to why I have such low output? the regulator could be bad, but not sure how to test.

Any ideas?

Kurt

My guess would be regulator. Have you tested with a second propane tank to make sure its not the tank?

It's a new tank, so I dont *think* that would be the problem. I'm also guessing it's the regulator. They are inexpensive enough to try out.

So cleaning out the head of the stove top should have caused any issues?

Thanks for the response,
Kurt

as long as the passages are clear then it would have to be the regulator or the flame control valve. But my money is on regulator

How long has this been sitting unused? It could be that you will have to take an air hose and blow out all the lines...

Small insects like spiders tend to build their homes in the lines which will plug up the lines...

Just a thought...

I agree take the hoses off and use a blowgun on an air compressor to blow them out. Hook them back up and test for leaks then try it before replacing anything

Well, good question.
redface.gif
Unfortunately I know how long it's been since not being used. Between 18-20 years, my wife said the same thing. I'll ensure the hoses are clear.

I just ordered a low pressure regulator so I'll drop that in soon to see if it solves the problem.

I'll also recheck all the connections from the tank to the burner for leaks.

Kurt

Check also between the manifold and the burner head, I know on gas grills they are called venturi tubes, they get spiders all the time. But other than that I think you are on the right track with the regulator, those diaphrams get old and crack and quit working, to the effect that you speak of....been there done that. Good luck, it looks like a pretty cool ol smoker!

I don't know about your area but regulators at the dump ( sanitary land fill ) are a dime a dozen. Also yard sales are rife with the things. Your Dad's smoker is really neat and for sure should be fixed and kept in the family.

OK, replaced regulator, blew out hose and still little output. My father had another single burner stove (griswold no less), so I ran to the hardware store and got the fittings to connect it.

Success! Got a much larger output as expected and the temperature rose to 170F. Awesome feeling!

At some point, I'll take a look at the original burner to see if it can be repaired.

So, today, I smoked some salmon filets and some pork shoulder, prepared in the Cajun way for Tasso. The temps stayed high so I think I'll add a valve at the regulator to better control the propane.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Kurt

Finally reached the desired temps!

2qd1imv.jpg

Here is the Salmon:

ab4iaf.jpg

Here is the tasso:

28cdet2.jpg

I saw a few posts here recommending writing down each recipe. I agree and glad I wrote these down. Already tweaking for next time.

Kurt

Glad you got the problem solved...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That is some good looking salmon you got there...

Also Love the size of the pictures, some I don't have to squint to see...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky