Preseason mistake????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stemy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Ohio
I preseason my smoker the other night after I put it altogether. I was sitting here thinking I might of got in a hurry when I did that. I did not wrap and anything down on the inside and didn't put oil on the racks. Will this be ok or should I do another preseason?

S, Sounds alright to me, I would wash the racks before adding food to remove the smoke residuals

I preseason my smoker the other night after I put it altogether. I was sitting here thinking I might of got in a hurry when I did that. I did not wrap and anything down on the inside and didn't put oil on the racks. Will this be ok or should I do another preseason?

I never put oil on anything in my MES 40.
You can spray a little Pam to keep things from sticking, but I don't know how good it works on long smokes.
The main thing to wash in your Masterbuilt 35B is the racks, because that's the only thing that should be touching the meat. You can cover your water pan with foil to make it easier to clean, and maybe the floor of the smoker too.

Bear

Thanks. I plan on smoking some cornish hens tomorrow for my first smoke. Any advice?

Doesn't matter what you smoke or you smoker i recommend using a good thermometer to check the done-ness of the meat. make sure on poultry esp. use an instant read or a a good probe therm and make sure the meat is done. also if you plan to use sauce on the birds wait until they are almost done before adding it or it will burn.
good luck!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

S, No advice on the birds but a nice easy starting out smoke is a pork tenderloin,stuffed or as is. Add that smoke to your list.

I would inject with Tony C's Creole Butter. It even has an injector taped to the side of the bottle. Apply a good rub, and smoke at at temp of at least 275. I don't know your smoker, so I don't know how high it will go. You don't want rubbery skin. If need be, you could crisp the skin in the oven at about 350. Good Luck Stemy. Remember...Pics or it didn't happen! Oh, don't forget the Beer.

I have done hens numerous times. I have wet brined, dry rub, and injected. Any way is fine, the wet brined turned out a little moister bird. I could only get to about 260 temp. So skin would not get crisp. Can throw under broiler for a bit if desired.
Last note I have on it was a wet brined 8 birds, pat dry, rub with mustard and favorite rub. 225F Apple wood to 167; 2 1\2 hrs

They turned out good. I made a brine and soaked them over night, applied some seasoning on them, smoked them at 250-275 for about 2 hrs. I used some hickory chips and added apple juice to the water dish.

You will soon tire of feeding chips. Suggest you do what many have done and use the AMNPS as the smoke source.

Last edited:
Does this AMNPS work with any smoker? I have been looking at the TP20 because I have received a lot of recommendation on it.

Does this AMNPS work with any smoker? I have been looking at the TP20 because I have received a lot of recommendation on it.

The AMNPS Works Great in smaller Smokers, Like MES, and other electric smokers, and any Smoker or Grill that you can close up enough to keep some of the smoke within.

I isn't recommended for a Gas Smoker, because of the air availability, and it isn't good at High Altitudes.
The Amazing Tube is good for those.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky