Possible to install temp guage into MES40?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are you talking about your standard run of the mill round analog thermometer?  I would say yes.  Drill a hole and mount it.

Just had the idea of installing a temp guage into my MES 40...is this possible?
Completely possible.

You might run into an issue though.  It seems that in the two MES40's I've dealt with you will never have the same temp at every rack level.

Heck You won't even have the same temp across a single rack much less different racks.

The best  I can get is a consistent difference between rack levels and a consistent difference across a single rack.

Now my best results in consistency and proper temp is at the bottom rack of my MES40 using 3rd party gauges to measure across the bottom rack.  The heating element is designed to let off more heat on the right side of the smoker than the left side so be prepared for that.

Finally, I am kicking around the idea to cut a 1/2 piece of birch panel/wood to make a shelf that basically reduces the available space in my smoker to "trap" more heat and slowly let it escape.

The example would be, I'm using the two lowest racks to smoke meat so in the 3rd rack position I slide in the board (with a smoke hole cut in it to let smoke escape) to then trap as much heat underneath to try and get a more uniform temp between the two racks below. 

Anyhow, digest this for a bit and see if you still would like to put in a temp gauge.  I would highly suggest just getting a dual probe thermometer like the ThermoPro TP20 and moving those probes around as your temp gage at any rack level you desire :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky