Pit Boss Temp Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Char-lie

Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
I have a Pitboss Series 3 vertical pellet smoker. From day one, the digital readout for internal ambient temperature has been reading 30 degrees more than the actual temp. I used it this way for a few months without knowing that it was inaccurate, resulting in cooks that took hours longer than necessary. I finally realized the temp issue and was able to compensate by adding a separate temp guage and increasing the temp setting by 25 to 50 degrees. I am hoping someone can suggest a possible solution. I recently replaced the temp sensor but this did not solve the problem.

Best way to manage temps is with a separate thermometer probe at grate level. Grate temps vary from what the controller shows the pit temp on mine too. I just use a 4 probe remote therm, with a grate clip and grate probe on one plug, and use the other probe(s) in what I'm cooking. I just use the remote for everything and don't use the controller meat probes either.

And on a vertical pellet, I'd run the grate probe on the center rack, which should give a somewhat average temp the pit is running at.

Best way to manage temps is with a separate thermometer probe at grate level. Grate temps vary from what the controller shows the pit temp on mine too. I just use a 4 probe remote therm, with a grate clip and grate probe on one plug, and use the other probe(s) in what I'm cooking. I just use the remote for everything and don't use the controller meat probes either.
That is exactly what I have been doing!! I was just hoping there might be a way to have the smoker display the correct temp. like it is supposed to. In my opinion the Pitboss temp sensor is located much too close to the fire pot.
I recently picked up a TempSpike wireless probe set (2 probes). Each probe has two sensors. One for internal food temp and one for ambient smoker temp. This could be a simple solution but I have only used it once so the jury is still out. Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: DougE
That is exactly what I have been doing!! I was just hoping there might be a way to have the smoker display the correct temp. like it is supposed to. In my opinion the Pitboss temp sensor is located much too close to the fire pot.
I recently picked up a TempSpike wireless probe set (2 probes). Each probe has two sensors. One for internal food temp and one for ambient smoker temp. This could be a simple solution but I have only used it once so the jury is still out. Thanks for your advice.
I think the chamber probe placement in any of these pellet grills/verticals leads to inaccurate readings at grate level. It isn't just Pit Boss.

Reactions: Char-lie
I have the PB1150PS2. My grate temps don't match the readout set temps. If I place a probe beside the control probe there within 3° though.

I have a brisket destined for the pb850 Sunday or Monday. I have a couple extra spots available on my wifi/bt temp probe module. I'll try and get 3 readings (left, center, right) and compare with the oem temp probe.

It's tough tracking temp on a vertical imo, you will get alot of difference in the 3 levels low middle and top rack, the temps swing and will probably average out to what it's set at, a probe at main grate that's got the bulk of your food can be cked and adjust temp till close, keep in mind the temp will increase as temps of the meat go up so there won't be as much of a heat sink, think of the food as a magnet pulling metal to it, same thing . I don't get tore up with the swings as it makes more smoke by doing that. I take all the help I can get for smoke lol

It's tough tracking temp on a vertical imo, you will get alot of difference in the 3 levels low middle and top rack, the temps swing and will probably average out to what it's set at, a probe at main grate that's got the bulk of your food can be cked and adjust temp till close, keep in mind the temp will increase as temps of the meat go up so there won't be as much of a heat sink, think of the food as a magnet pulling metal to it, same thing . I don't get tore up with the swings as it makes more smoke by doing that. I take all the help I can get for smoke lol
Thanks for info, Mike. Much appreciated.
I have learned to deal with the temp issue. I was hoping there might be a simple fix. One of my concerns is that my temps are so far off that I sometimes have to set my smoker temp 100 degrees higher than my target temp. As I type this I have a pork shoulder smoking. My smoker's readout shows an internal temp of 360 degrees. I have an analog oven guage hanging inside that reads 260 and a TempSpike probe that shows ambient temp of 244. As you can see there is a difference of about 100 degrees!

Thats way off, probably need a controller. is it still under warranty? bought the son a vertical and it is 4-5 years old now so suspect time is almost out on his,

I have a CampChef XXL-PRO vertical, and I put the rack at the same level as the RTD to try do minimize difference.

Thats way off, probably need a controller. is it still under warranty? bought the son a vertical and it is 4-5 years old now so suspect time is almost out on his,
Yes...still under warranty. I called Pitboss yesterday and they also suspected the controller board. They are shipping one to me under warranty. Fingers crossed 🤞

I have a vertical pitt boss that I just swapped the controller with one of the smoke -it app compatible wifi/bluetooth controllers and now it behaves drastically different when coming up to temp. ( I have read they are not compatible yet the app lets me select a vertical model smoker and I have seen others comment that had done so with success so YMMV.
It does still work but it seems its ping ponging over shooting quite a bit on the controller temp readout. However I have installed an analog temp gauge in the door at the top where pitboss originally designed one to go before covering it with a logo plate and those temps are surprisingly pretty stable. the meat probes I placed on different racks for testing also did not have these swings. Ive found that even with the stock controller, the temps vary from the bottom rack to the top and that to be expected. and of course like every vertical pitboss ive seen in person the adjustable flue at the top has a loose pressed in threaded insert which spins when trying to adjust and doesnt allow me to raise or lower the flue cap to control the exhaust rate.
I also think that since I was testing the new controller with the smoker being empty, That the temp swings would be more extreme than if there was meat in there

I forgot to update. I did a test when I smoked a brisket days ago. I only used 1 probe. It was placed to the right of the pellet fire pot on the grate (on the stack side). Pid temp was set to 300*, probe never went over 245*. Probe was placed on the grate.

So in my case, I replaced my 80015 module with another and its actually different as it contains a different style main board. Anyway the replacement works and the temp doesnt jump all over. The weird thing is when testing the temp readout was sometimes still really high even though all the other probes I had on different shelves were reading approximately the correct temp + - 10 degrees. I turned the unit off and tried again and then the temp readout was correct but one of the meat probes read high instead? makes me wonder if one of my probes has a cable thats shorting to the frame of the smoker. I did also replace the main RTD when replacing the controller the second time.

I turned the unit off and tried again and then the temp readout was correct but one of the meat probes read high instead? makes me wonder if one of my probes has a cable thats shorting to the frame of the smoker.
Both the probes that came with my Camp Chef read fine for awhile, then all of a sudden they are reading higher than the smoker is set for (controller is reading chamber temp fine), aside from the fact they are stuck in a piece of meat that could not yet be at the temp they are reading. I may replace them at some point, but I just use a separate therm to monitor my cooks.

I used my second replacement controller for porkloins, rib and a brisket while on vacation last week 3 different smokes. I just dont understand how this thing works. its not a pid I know but its not hysterisis either. regardless of "p" settings the temps are not behaving as I would expect. sometimes the app will read a temp thats 150 off from the digital readout on the controller? usually they are in since with each other. sometimes if I have it set to say 225 degrees the digital readout will stay at 399 for the whole smoke. When checking temps near the probe they are about 300 degrees yet towards the top of the smoker its not even 200 degrees? and could shut it down let cool and bring it up again and it might climb to and maintain a different temp for hours on end. when the controller seems to work as it should the actual temps are too low in the cabinet everywhere but at the temp probe and by quite a bit. Its like they use some sort of template to make the smoker the setpoint even though the temp probe area is much hotter and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt?

I double checked my meat probes which are fine and even tested without them plugged in.

Last edited:
Both the probes that came with my Camp Chef read fine for awhile, then all of a sudden they are reading higher than the smoker is set for (controller is reading chamber temp fine), aside from the fact they are stuck in a piece of meat that could not yet be at the temp they are reading. I may replace them at some point, but I just use a separate therm to monitor my cooks.
I just had to re-calibrate mine. I had it set within a few degrees, 6 months later it's off by 10 so I mentally adjust. Last spring it was off by 20, so I mentally adjust. Didn't run my smoker all summer and as soon as I went to smoke something a few weeks ago it was off by 30.

My PID is aftermarket, so I can do things like this. I know some higher end factory PID's can be adjusted.

I am aggravated that my phone's latest upgrade isn't playing well with my Inkbird app, so while I didn't mind knowing that it was off by 30, I'm not getting alerts at all now through the app on temp swings, so I want the 'factory probe' as correct as I can get it.

10 years ago I didn't even own a digital therm and used a homemade pit, now I'm all upsot 'cause digital this and bluetooth that and my PID sux/isn't working right. SMH

I just had to re-calibrate mine. I had it set within a few degrees, 6 months later it's off by 10 so I mentally adjust. Last spring it was off by 20, so I mentally adjust. Didn't run my smoker all summer and as soon as I went to smoke something a few weeks ago it was off by 30.

My PID is aftermarket, so I can do things like this. I know some higher end factory PID's can be adjusted.

I am aggravated that my phone's latest upgrade isn't playing well with my Inkbird app, so while I didn't mind knowing that it was off by 30, I'm not getting alerts at all now through the app on temp swings, so I want the 'factory probe' as correct as I can get it.

10 years ago I didn't even own a digital therm and used a homemade pit, now I'm all upsot 'cause digital this and bluetooth that and my PID sux/isn't working right. SMH
Mine read normal for a little while, then the temp goes up way above my pit temp. My inkbird probes have as smaller plug, but read fine plugged into the controller as long as they get good contact. I just need to replace the factory ones, but it isn't really a priority since I have a separate therm.

inkbird sent me a bunch of devices years ago to review for them after contacting me on the homebrewing forum. one of them has like 6 or 8 probes so I have plenty but the jacks are too small for the pitboss. I bought like 4 pitboss replacements thus far from ebay. my Particular issues are with the smoker temp not the probes which all read correctly. just wish it was consistently off a certian amount and Id deal with it. Thats sort of whats happening but sometimes its off by a lot sometimes not so much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky