MES40 needed a jump start in this cold weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
It's 9F and windy in central, Missouri and I could not get my MES40 to turn on. The digital screen did not like the temperature. I grabbed an old hair dryer and turned it on in the chamber for about 5 minutes (got it up to 100F) and then for about 5 minutes on the control panel. It was clunky, but it worked well enough to get it going.

In a few minutes the jalapeno-cheddar pork summer sausage is headed into the MES40 to dry at 150F and get hickory smoked...then into the sous vide after church.

Ive had to do the hair dryer trick in mine as well. Only takes a min or so to get it up and going.

Sausage sounds good on a chilly day

Reactions: uncle eddie
Drying/smoking is done.
Into the sous vide for the finish.
I really enjoy set it and forget it...

IMG_1578.jpg

A lighter on the temp prob that stick out on the back of the mes taker about a minute.If you hold it on to long it’ll give the same error code because it’s to hot.

That is some great looking sausage!
Did you use jarred jalapenos or fresh?
cptnding cptnding - neither. I used dried jalapeno's. For this batch I used 0.75 oz. (measured dry) for 13 pounds of pork. It was just right - mildly warm, nice flavor - you could tell they were there but it didn't burn.

I hydrate them with water for about 30 minutes and then hand blend them in with the cheese after the final grind.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
cptnding cptnding - neither. I used dried jalapeno's. For this batch I used 0.75 oz. (measured dry) for 13 pounds of pork. It was just right - mildly warm, nice flavor - you could tell they were there but it didn't burn.

I hydrate them with water for about 30 minutes and then hand blend them in with the cheese after the final grind.
Oh ok! I don't think I've ever seen dried jalapenos. Did you make them yourself or is that something that can be purchased?
Any chance you would be willing to share your recipe? I can't get over that photo lol.

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky