Porkpullooza 2018

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good idea.
What are you cooking in the morning?
Thanks!
Just doing an 8# pork butt. I throw a pan of baked beans underneath for the first few hours to catch some of the drippings. Will do a homemade coleslaw to go with it. Going to start early on the cinco de mayo with some quac, margaritas, and some cervezas once the work whistle blows.

Them butts look pretty. And I’d say your smoker is in the groove. Only a heat signature. All wood fire?

All wood fire.
I have them wrapped now but trying to slow down the cook a bit. Don’t need them done until 8:30am. Even if they get done though they will hold for hours.

152560E5-6D6A-403F-B4C9-6DF5009D9EF4.jpeg
Finished around 1:30am and got everything into some coolers. My son wanted to do a little quality control and I wanted to make sure it was still good.

It’s good.
I’ll get more pics in a bit. Getting my people out the door to school.

Looks like your gonna have a bunch of happy people!
Those butts look amazing!
Great job & congrats on making the carousel!
Al

F2C8600E-90A8-4AB0-AFA6-55B920B41048.jpeg
Al, thanks for the ride on the carousel!
This smoking thing is just fun isn’t it folks.
Here’s the final product without opening up all the foil packets.
The airmen that showed up to pick up the meat had to do a little quality control and they said “that sure beats hamburgers!”
Enjoy guys and thanks for your service!!

It was awesome! I say was because they came and took it all. I would have let you have some for what it’s worth!

The key to me for a great bark is layering your rub on pretty thick. Like thicker than most people would think. Remember that it’s 7-10lbs of meat we’re talking about here so once you pull it, that seasoning will get mixed all throughout the meat which is what you want.
The other part about the bark is that you have to let it build. Temps and knowing when to wrap it are the key. Anybody can just burn meat and there will be a “bark” on it but you won’t want to eat it.

Hey brother a smoker newbie here and I’m planning on smoking about 8lbs of butt on Sunday for the wife’s birthday. I think you could help with a question I’ve had. An 8lb butt cook in about 16 hours (2 hours/lb) temp permitting, can I cut my cook time in half by doing 2 butts that are 4lbs each? Thanks in advance sir

Hey brother a smoker newbie here and I’m planning on smoking about 8lbs of butt on Sunday for the wife’s birthday. I think you could help with a question I’ve had. An 8lb butt cook in about 16 hours (2 hours/lb) temp permitting, can I cut my cook time in half by doing 2 butts that are 4lbs each? Thanks in advance sir

It wouldnt cut the time in half, it may cut it down a bit but it really depends on the piece of meat. You can wrap the butt to get it to cook faster and once wrapped you can crank the heat up to 300-350, that should cut down o your time.

Morning JAG!

Are you in the service? Thanks for your service if you are.

So I wouldn’t cut it in half. I’ll save you the search but that topic has been debated a few times on here and it really all comes down to thickness of the meat and how slow or fast the internal temps would go up.

What kind of smoker do you have?

If you don’t have a meat thermometer, preferably an instant read, you should get one. You can get a $9 one at Walmart or a $100 one at thermapen. Personally I got a lavatools javelin duo pro for $49 and Love it!

I would say just run your smoker at 275-300 and you will be able to get it done much quicker than 16hrs without losing any flavor or tenderness.
The internal temperature (IT) is how you need to start looking at cooks and when meat will be done. Times can be helpful for trying to plan out when you’ll be done but IT is the only thing that matters. The pork butt doesn’t know what time it is and is done when it’s done.
If you can cook the butt between 275-300 and wrap it in foil, you’ll be looking closer to an 8-10hr smoke which I think you’ll prefer to 16hrs.

So how do you know when it’s done??
If you have a leave-in thermometer, when it starts getting close to 200 is when I start probing it. I take the pointed end of my instant read thermometer and poke it all around. If there is any resistance, it’s not done yet. The probe should be able to go through the meat just like butter, with no resistance. Once you feel it one time, you’ll know what it’s supposed to be like and then it’s done. Leave it until it gets this tender. Trust me! I usually find that IT of 205 gets it perfect every time.
Once it’s done, you can keep it wrapped in the foil and depending on when you need it, can keep it in a warm oven (170 degrees) for a long time, like up to 8hrs.
The meat will re-absorb some of its juices and will be amazing. Also you’ll know you got it perfect because the bone will just pull right out. Clean!

I’ll give you my rub recipe. It’s got some spice to it but not too much so that my 4yr old can’t eat it. Now he doesn’t eat the bark part but loves pulled pork. My 9yr old daughter also loves it.
Just last weekend I got 6th place out of 21 in a local bbq competition so I think the rub is pretty good.
Also at the bottom of the recipe it says 1 brisket (I don’t use it on my brisket. Only salt and pepper for this guy!)
Anyway give this process a try and I think you’ll love it.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• CB47797F-E750-4980-9E2E-78CFF01FE659.jpeg
    CB47797F-E750-4980-9E2E-78CFF01FE659.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 58
  • CBA685A2-F07E-485D-A9BC-7E3B2B066E80.jpeg
    CBA685A2-F07E-485D-A9BC-7E3B2B066E80.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Looks great! I apologize if I missed it in an earlier post...but how long was your cook from place on the grates to pull from them? I have a large butt smoke coming up (similar to yours) and am curious about the time...

Hey Brnhornt,

Here’s the funny thing, I put 17 of them on around 11:30am and then 6 more (I convinced him to have more than 178lbs for 450 people) around 2pm.
The extra 6 went on the firebox side so they were about 50 degrees hotter than the others.
I wrapped all around 9pm and pulled everything off around 1:30am.
So 14 hrs for first batch and 11.5hrs for the 6 extra.
My temps avg about 250 on the smoke stack side and 300 on firebox side.
I think it really depends on your temp differences across your racks and how comfortable you feel running higher temps. I didn’t feel like staying awake all night so when I pulled mine a few were above 205 and some were at 189. I mixed some of each in two different coolers and left them until they were picked up at 8:30am and they came out perfect.
Here’s a pic I got from the group as they are pulling the butts. Look pretty good to me.
Hope that helps a bit.

Attachments

• 2179EEDC-795E-4C0D-9B7E-0669D86A655E.jpeg
    2179EEDC-795E-4C0D-9B7E-0669D86A655E.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
One more thing Brnhornt!
Be sure to give yourself plenty of time before food is supposed to be served.
It will hold really well for a long time but once it’s late it’s late.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky