Porkapalooza - Boneless Country Style Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Here is a link to the post, covering the overall smoke and the details on the Pork Loins and a link to the post covering the ribs.

The last item on the Porkapalooza menu was a large family pack (5#) of Boneless Country Style Ribs. My goal was to make something sort of like large pork burnt ends.

Mustard and Rub applied the night before.

It took 2 1/2 hours for them to hit 165, I think this would have been quicker if not for the moisture issues I had at the beginning of the smoke.

I put a rack in a foil pan, put the BCSRs on the rack, filled with enough pineapple juice to come up to the level of the rack. Foiled the pan and put back in the smoker.

2 hours and 15 minutes later (4:45 into the smoke) they were all in the 195-200 range. I uncovered them, drained the liquid, gave a good coat of my Sweet Sauce, butter, brown sugar, honey, and a generous sprinkle of rub. and placed back into the smoker.

After 1 hour I gave them a stir, and 30 minutes later I pulled them.

Some of them are just right, super tender, and definitely covered in a sweet sticky sauce, but a few of them are a bit dryer.

More or less the same results I had with pork steaks a while back, although these are better than the pork steaks were. I just haven't perfected my method of turning either of these "cuts from butts" into juicy smooth sticky sweet pig candy. I am not sure which part of the process I need to play with. To me it seems that the braising stage isn't getting them as tender and juicy as I would expect, but not sure or what to do if that is the case.

bcsr1.jpg bcsr2.jpg

Reactions: weev and SmokinAl
I think they look awesome !
I have never tried cooking them but I remember my mom cooking them at home she would first grill them and then let them simmer in bbq sauce for half the day

Nice! I have smoked these a couple times but the gripe is definitely the inconsistency in the cuts so will get varied results like Al said. I do grill them often because they are quick and easy. I always take a look at them at the grocery and if I can find some fat ones I will buy and smoke instead of grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky