Pork, sausage, Tasso and chicken jambalaya for Old Saint Nick!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks fellas and Merry Christmas!
Will be eating it later for lunch for sure.
Can pass along recipe if you like. Fairly easy. Let me know!

Here you go! Feel free to ask any questions. I got this recipe from another site and a guy named J. Poche made this.

Jambalaya Gonzales Style (where the jambalaya world championships are every year.)

2 1/2 lbs pork sirloin meat (or pork shoulder)

2lbs chicken tenderloins

Cajun seasoning (or a mix of salt, pepper and garlic powder)

2 lb andouille or good smoked sausage

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 cups long grain rice

3 medium onions, diced

4 green onions, chopped

1 Tbs minced garlic

8 cups broth (or water)

A little more water (for unsticking meat from the pot)

1. Cut the pork into cubes, trying to keep a small piece of fat on each (It enhances flavor and tenderness.) Season the meat.

2. Add veggie oil to pot and heat. Brown the meat down really well. Let the meat fry until it starts to stick, then stir. Do that over and over again. Let it stick, then stir. Repeat. Sometimes a little water is needed to cool off the grease. The meat debris that sticks to the bottom of the pot (the gratin) will dictate your color of the rice/jamb. Season the meat each turn as you brown it. After the meat is browned down to dark fry, remove it completely from the pot.

3. Next brown down chicken then the sausage. Don't overcook the sausage and fry it too much. Just mildly brown it down – you don’t want to cook all of the taste out of the sausage.

4. After the sausage cooks a little, remove from the pot. Drain the grease out of the pot at this time but don’t lose the gratin (brown bits). Then add onions, green onions, garlic with a splash of water and cook till clear looking. This is when you scrape the bottom of the pot getting all the brown gratin from the pork. You will have to add small splashes of stock as you cook to not burn the trinity mix. This is when the color that the jambalaya starts to reveal it darkness. The browner the meat was cooked the darker the gratin will be making this mixture dark as well.

5. After the vegetables are cooked (clear looking) add all the meat back into the pot and mix well. Cook all the remaining water out of the pot at this time so the water measurements will be accurate.

6. Add the broth or water.

7. After it comes to a rolling boil, start tasting the liquid. You want it to be a tad bit salty because the rice will absorb the saltiness.

8. Skim the remaining grease off the top. The boiling water will separate it from the broth.

9. After you get the taste like you want it and the pot is on a hard rolling boil, add the rice.

Try low to low/medium heat about 3-4 on my stove.

Never add the rice until the water is boiling! Let it come back to a boil until the rice starts to expand and is "jumping out the pot". This is an expression we use due to the hard boiling liquid and the rice entrained in the liquid sometimes comes over the side. This is very important in order to get the rice to “pop”. Let the rice get noticeably bigger/expanded before cutting the heat and covering. You can tell is getting ready when the rice is thickening by stirring your spoon in the mixture. As it thickens it will get noticeably harder to stir. This should be achieved on a HARD boil and it is critical to the rice popping correctly.

10. When the rice has started to expand, cut back on the heat to low and cover. Do not lift the lid for any reason. Let this cook for about 25

minutes and then lift the lid and “roll” the rice. Don't stir it - roll it from bottom to top at different spots. Re-cover and cut heat off. Completely. Check rice to see if it’s done then eat it!!!!

Yield: This recipe is for a 6 quart Dutch oven and feeds 8 to 10 with sides.

Reactions: crazymoon
Ab,
The only kinda tricky part that I think is just part of the experience is that when you are letting the rice cook at the end, you’ll have to figure out how low your cooker can go because you will get varying degrees of burnt rice at the bottom. After doing this a couple times, I’ve gotten less and less at the bottom.

0B2DCBC0-F51D-46D0-80B7-FE664031AE46.jpeg
Oh man, that looks awesome. Someday I need to try Tasso. It is a variant of ham, correct?
Steve,

Here is the recipe I’ve used to great success for Tasso. It comes out of Chef John Folse’s cookbook. I cut it into a little thicker pieces than he does.
Let me know how it turns out!

Reactions: nanuk and hewl35
Welcome to the site Hewl!!

John Folse has quite a few recipes that I’ve been able to successfully execute.

Another you should try is the green beans and potatoes. AMAZING!!!! You can thank me later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky