Pork Roast and asian style omelet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
Cooked a pork roast and egg foo young with brown gravy sauce and side of apple sauce.
Roast
Pork roast rubbed with thyme, red pepper, salt, black pepper, rosemary, and evoo, for 3 hours, then basted with same just before placed in oven. Oven preheated 500 f

Cooked until it was 151, pulled and covered, it went to 156 before carving.
Egg foo young
Chopped cabbage, carrots, mushrooms green oinions, bean sprouts. Seasoned with nature seasoning, red pepper flakes, dash all spice.
Beat 3 eggs, and then add a dry slurry of corn starch (1 tsp water and 2 tsp water), add to veggies, and toss.

Place hand full in a heated pan with evoo in it. Flip when that side is golden brown.

Brown sauce, 1 tbs cs dissolved in, 2 tsp water. Ina pot bring 1/2 tsp sherry (or rice wine),1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp white sugar 1 cup beef broth (or chicken), 1/2 tsp soy sauce to boil then stir in cs slurry solution. Once thickened pull from heat.

Attachments

• 2019-02-24 19.28.16.jpg
    2019-02-24 19.28.16.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 48
Dang'it!
You're teasing me hard.
That looks really good, and I want some now, today, tonight.
And that pork roast looks so damned juicy, yum!

I got spoiled back in SoCal with a place that made the best Egg Foo Yung on the planet.
Which the loss of has left me unable to ever again fully enjoy them cause I'm always a tad disappointed.
And yet I crave them!

Last edited:
Confusses say: It's not what you do, but how you do it, and you do it right.

That's a great looking meal Kit. Nice job and pass my plate over.
point for sure
Chris

That looks great. I am a big fan of Egg Foo and yoy veg additions would be much better than what my area restaurants use.
Maybe try one of the Char Siu recipes around here for that authentic Chinese Roast Pork flavor...JJ

Char Siu... Chinese Roast Pork

1/2C Soy Sauce , low sodium(Kikkoman Green cap)

1/2C Brown Sugar

1/2C Shaoxing Wine* or Mirin

1/2C Hoisin sauce, Koon Chun* is best.

1/4tsp 5 Spice Powder or more to taste

1T Grated fresh Ginger

1tsp Minced fresh Garlic

1tsp Sesame Oil

1T Red Food Coloring (optional)

Makes about 2 Cups, enough for 8Lbs of either Pork Butt and Loin or 2 full racks of Ribs.

Items with an " * " are available at a Chinese Market. The rest and an el cheapo Hoisin is available at your local Mega Mart.

Marinate the pork for at least 24 Hours and 48 is better. Make sure to turn the meat in the marinade frequently to get the best result..

The Chinese Roast Hot and Fast...350*F for 3 inch thick slices or Pork Butt. Approximately 2 Hours or to 160*F and rest and 140*F for Loin (Too lean to go higher)

For Low and Slow...Smoke at 225*F to 250*F to an internal temp of 150*F for Butt to be Sliced, and 130*F for Loin. Then finish, both types of pork, the last 10*F on a hot Grill then rest.

In American Chinese Restaurants this is made in gas ovens but in China they cook over WOOD so mild smoke would be authentic here.

You can BOIL the Marinade with the De-Fatted meat dripping for a great sauce, thicken with a little cornstarch and water.

This recipe is great on RIBS Too!

Reactions: kit s
Looks great, love me some pork egg foo young ,never attempted to make it, past fried rice I go some where to get it made rite lol

I've prob made jjs char Siu ribs 6 or 8 times in the last 2 or so months. The people I cook for demand them made that way now. Plus I've found it to be a great sweet base if you want to use a different finishing sauce. I have a ghost pepper tart cherry BBQ sauce for example that pairs great with it.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky