Pork Butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harrisonhunter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
I gonna attempt my first pork butt here and was wondering the proper name of the cut?

If I just look for a pork butt at the market will I find one?

Hoping to have some great Pulled pork sammies next weekend
icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Or "Pork Shoulder Blade Roast".

Seems the Safeway around here thinks the word "butt" might offend someone's delicate sensibilities.
biggrin.gif

Dave

Our wally world has had em tagged as "Pork shoulder butt roast" a few times. They don't look like pork shoulders, more like the butt roast, but hey ifin that be what they wanna call em. Just look fer the ones that are rounded er square, a pork shoulder will look sumtin like an egg shape, with the bone sticken out the end. Oh an by the way, ain't nothin wrong with smokin a shoulder neither, I think they have a bit more flavor myself. Good luck.

what's 'pulled pork'.

So a pork butt is a large piece of pork shoulder ? Sounds like the cuts I've been using for sausages and bbqing. Just called pork shoulder over here.

So which part of the cow is a brisket ?

Pulled pork is one of the BEST smoked meats you'll ever eat. IMO it is only surpassed by a properly cooked brisket. This coming from a rib man. lol. Since I've joined here my horizons have expanded immeasurably. I've yet to smoke a chicken or turkey so my opinion may change in the near future. I once had smoked turkey medallions wrapped in bacon at a brazilian grill and they were VERY good.

pork_carcass_breakdown.gif

In looking at the diagram above, the Boston Butt and the Picnic make up the whole pork shoulder. Both can be used to make pulled pork, but the butt is easier to pull apart than the picnic.

The brisket is where the beef breast bone meet. The breast bone is removed and the brisket is sold as a whole packer brisket, trimmed packer brisket, or sold as brisket flat or brisket point (packer brisket seperated at the flat and point.

front_qt_cuts.htm_txt_frontqtcutsphotogreat.gif

Aardvark, please edit your profile to show your location. By your comment "over here" I'm to believe that you are in Great Britian or one of the other European countries or even Australia or New Zeland?

Gawd, wish I had a nickel for every fore I've lifted off the floor and hung on hooks, broke down and cut up! Same with hinds too... My average lift weight per day was about 4500 lbs. - sometimes more, sometimes less (not very often tho!)

aardvark , I think the answer yer lookin for is this ... pulled pork is when the meat is done it is ' pulled apart '. either by hand or with 2 forks or any combination. the result is pork that is all shredded up and easy to put on a sandwich.

I hear ya Pops, when dad was alive, he had his own shop, we did custom cutting of beef, pork and lamb, in addition to the shop, we also did our own curing and smoking of hams and bacon. Dad taught all three of us boys the business, cold, hard work but I'm glad I learned.

aardvark thats you answer. you want to smoke it at around 225 to 230 deg's to an internal temp of 195/200 deg. remove from smoker wrap in foil and put in a cooler lined with thick towels for at least 1 hour. At that time you can take a coup;e of dining forks an pull the meat apart. it will be so tender that the bone will almost fall out.

Great way to grow up, too! We lived in a huge old building that used to be a hotel; Dad remodeled the upstairs into a 4 bedroom apartment, the store downstairs, meat department in the back end, the smokers right under our bedrooms - don't know how many winter mornings I'd wake up and couldn't see the door of the bedroom the smoke would be so thick (chimney right next to our upstairs bedroom windows that had caulk missing on the panes, I'd wake up sometimes with snow on my if there was a blizzard the night before). From doing returnable bottles to oiling the hardwood floor and sweeping it down with sawdust to hanging beef or stockinett'ing hams, getting poked by bacon hooks all linked together trying to hang bellies, cleaning the smokehouse (dad used to lower me down into it and scrape like crazy with butcher block scrapers). I worked for him full time out of high school and one of the least fond memories was staying out 'til 5am, drunk as a skunk and the door locked so I fell asleep on the porch, the mat as my pillow, from 5-6 when he came out, kicked me in the ribs, said 'C'mon, got work to do.." and went to work at 6:30... had to get down on my hands and knees and scrape the cement floor in the drip room for hours.. I thought I was gonna die...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky