Pork Butt Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got my ham going. Usually go to 165 but thinking about maybe trying lower this time. What do you think?

20191115_104610.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
Is this a butt that you cured yourself? I think 165 is a little too far for me. 140 and your good.. unless you want to do something a little different than sliced. Then you could go to 205 or so and pull like pulled pork. Makes great sandwiches that way. Especially with a swiss cheese sauce to go with it.

I take mine to 150 ish and hold it for a couple hours .
X2 on the pulled ham . Makes a great sandwich .

Cured myself. In past thought 165 would make more tender and they have came out very good and been hard to change but will try lower this time. Maybe try 155.

Nice!

Just an FYI I have done some small feral hog back legs into hams and haven taken them to 165F to ensure any micro parasites would be killed. The ham turns out fine so don't fret.
They are the only ham's I have done so I can't speak to a lower temp BUT I do my bacon to 145F and eat it and it comes out fine as well. I am guessing that hams would probably fair just as well in any temp range 145F - 165F.

I can't wait for the pics because I ALMOST did a pair of pork butt hams but decided against it because I didn't want to spend the time AND I had plans for the 12.5 pounds of salmon lox I have waiting to be smoked this Saturday and didn't have the garage fridge space for both. I might still end up doing 1... we'll see lol.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Looks good but like chopsaw, I rest mine for at least 3 days before slicing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky