Pork butt ended up too tough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tatts4life

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
So it's been awhile since I've had to cook more then one shoulder. Over the weekend I figured why not go big and cook two shoulders one for Tuesday and the other for Saturday at a friends cookout. Well I did everything the same that I normally do using my 2in1 char-broiler. At about 9 hours both meats reached 200 degrees. I brought them in and let them sit for 15 minutes before I pulled them. The first pulled like expected and turned out great. But the second one which was cooking underneath the smaller one gave me all kinds of problem. I tried to pull the shoulder bone and it would just not give. The meat was tough and wouldn't shred by hand and I swear the temp was only at 170 when before it was at 200. So since it was late and I already put my smoker away I had to resort to putting the meat in the oven and hope that I could save it. Let it cook to 200 and took the meat out and the crap felt even tougher and now felt dried out. My wife insists that if I chop or try and shred it then no one will be able to tell the difference once I mix the meats together. I on the other hand want to punt this thing in the trash for being a pain in the ass.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky